I’d like to share a few of the things from her service. A gift that the hospital gave us which is now one of the things I hold dearest were the two small rings that were used in some of Lily’s photographs (specifically the pictures of her feet & hands). I now wear those precious rings around my neck, so that a small piece of her is always with me.
We chose the music that was played at her service & the lyrics for each song spoke so intimately to the grief & circumstances surrounding the service. The first, Smallest Wingless by Craig Cardiff, poignantly depicts a situation similar to our own; two of our close friends who are like family to us shared this song days after Lily’s death. The second, Held by Natalie Grant, is a song that I remembered from years ago which also talks of the loss of a child (and also has a lyric that mentions “lilies of the valley”). And lastly, Hope Now by Addison Road, is a song some of you may recall being mentioned in a previous post as one which brought me comfort & it only seemed fitting to end on this note.
The day after Lily’s passing, a dear friend shared with us a card that brought so much meaning to the grief we were feeling. We used the poem on the front of this card in the program for Lily’s service. It reads, “God has not promised skies always blue, flower-strewn pathways all our lives through; God has not promised sun without rain, joy without sorrow, peace without pain. But God has promised strength for the day, rest for the labor, light for the way, Grace for the trials, help from above, unfailing sympathy, undying love” ~ Annie Johnson Flint.
Both Nick & I spoke during a moment of sharing at the service. As most of you know, I love to read & I felt it was only appropriate that I read a book to Lily as part of the service. The book On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman was one that I loved to read to her throughout my pregnancy, & the words to this book took on special meaning given the context of our loss. It meant so much to me to be able to do this as part of the service. Nick gave the most amazing & poignant message, speaking of the depths of this loss for us, his deep love for me, the love he now for the first time understands God has for each of us, & the sadness of never being able to rock our daughter to sleep, see her grow up, or walk her down the aisle on her wedding day. As you can imagine there was not a dry eye in the place!
We wrote our daughters obituary together earlier this week; it will run in tomorrow’s newspaper. I thought I would share it with you all since most of you are not in this area...
Lillian Grace Keunen was born on June 27, 2010, and the same day passed from this world into the arms of Jesus. Sweet and precious Lillian is the daughter of Nick & Rebecca Keunen of Wichita. Her grandparents are Harve & Lori Keunen of Alton, Iowa, and Orval & Jody Hinrichsen of Hinton, Iowa. A private family service was held at Chapel Hill United Methodist Church officiated by Pastor Jeff Gannon. A beautiful little girl who was the answer to so many prayers, the fragile spark of her tender soul has changed our hearts forever. You are loved and will be missed.
We have been overwhelmed with the incredible out powering of love & support we've felt from people in the community, our neighborhood, the church, friends, family & those in the blogosphere. So many of you who have crossed our paths in different ways throughout this tragedy have been used by God in ways you cannot imagine to touch us & bring comfort. In the depths of our intense sadness I feel such a renewed sense of faith in humanity.
My necklace with Lily's rings...puts into perspective how tiny she was...
Nick & I before the service, trying to look presentable before crying A LOT...
The main table at the funeral service...
Her precious tiny urn with a couple of her pictures at home with us, the text on the picture frame reads "Forever held close, in the love of the Lord, from this day on."
















33 comments:
Rebecca - thank you for sharing such an intimate moment and deep, deep thoughts and experiences with us. I would have been there had I lived closer. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Love to you...
Rebecca, what a beautiful memorial to your daughter. That poem is so fitting for your loss and for so many dark days on this infertility journey. "Blessed are they that mourn; for they shall be comforted," Matthew 5:4. I pray that you and Nick find comfort in the coming days. Sending you much love.
I'm thinking of you both so often during the day, and lifting up prayers for peace and hope in the midst of Lily's death. Thank you for sharing the wonderful way you honored her life.
The memorial sounds perfect. And I love the song "Held" and also "When the Rain Comes" by Third Day.
If you decide you want book recs, someone new to talk to, whatever, I would be happy to help. For us, the first couple of weeks were the "easy" part.
Thinking of all of you guys.
the strength that you two have shown during this incredibly difficult time is amazing. i continue to prayer for you and your family. lily will be missed by many. i love you guys!
Hi Rebecca,
I wanted to post some poems that were sent to me by friends. The first one was sent to me by a co-worker who had twins at 24 weeks. His son survived, but unfortunately his daughter did not.
I just wanted to let you know
that I made it home.
The journey wasn't an easy one,
but it didn't take too long.
Everything is so pretty here,
so white, so fresh and new.
I wish that you could close your eyes
and that you could see it too.
Please try not to be sad for me...
Try to understand.
God is taking care of me...
I'm in the shelter of His hands.
Here there is no sadness,
no sorrow, and no pain.
Here there is no crying,
and I'll never hurt again.
Here it is so peaceful
when all the angels sing,
I really have to go now-
I've just got to try my wings
You have probably read this next one:
I Thought Of You
I thought of you with love today, but that is nothing new.
I thought about you yesterday, and the day before that, too.
I think of you in silence, I often say your name,
But all I have is memories and your picture in a frame.
Your memory is my keepsake, with which I'll never part.
God has you in his keeping, I have you in my heart.
I shed tears for what might have been, a million times I've cried.
If love alone could have saved you, you never would have died.
In life I loved you dearly, in death I love you still,
In my heart you hold a place no one could ever fill.
It broke my heart to lose you, but you didn't go alone,
For part of me went with you, the day God took you home.
~ Author Unknown
This last one I really like. They are lyrics to a song:
1. With Hope Lyrics
Steven Curtis Chapman
This is not at all how
We thought it was supposed to be
We had so many plans for you
We had so many dreams
And now you've gone away
And left us with the memories of your smile
And nothing we can say
And nothing we can do
Can take away the pain
The pain of losing you, but ...
We can cry with hope
We can say goodbye with hope
'Cause we know our goodbye is not the end, oh no
And we can grieve with hope
'Cause we believe with hope
(There's a place by God's grace)
There's a place where we'll see your face again
We'll see your face again
And never have I known
Anything so hard to understand
And never have I questioned more
The wisdom of God's plan
But through the cloud of tears
I see the Father's smile and say well done
And I imagine you
Where you wanted most to be
Seeing all your dreams come true
'Cause now you're home
And now you're free, and ...
We have this hope as an anchor
'Cause we believe that everything
God promised us is true, so ...
So we can cry with hope
And say goodbye with hope
We wait with hope
And we ache with hope
We hold on with hope
We let go with hope
Thank you for keeping my husband and I in your prayers. We are doing the same for you two.
Love,
Brandy
Sounds like a lovely service. I am glad it gave you some comfort. (((hugs)))
"A beautiful little girl who was the answer to so many prayers, the fragile spark of her tender soul has changed our hearts forever."
This line is so beautiful and so poignant.
I wish I knew you in real life ( not in a creepy way!)
You are so wise and so full of faith and so amazing.
You should be proud of the beautiful farewell you created to your beautiful and precious daughter.
I am thinking of you all and sending you love and hugs across the miles.
I'm glad you were able to have such a lovely service and the love and comfort of your friends and family. I'm so sorry you don't have Lillian with you.
The service sounded just really really special Rebecca. You are so strong, so brave and so wonderful my friend. Know we are all here for you always. Know also I continue to pray for you, Nick and your precious little angel. Your loss has affected me more than any other loss I have read about. I have a special place in my heart for all three of you and will never forget your little girl. Sending you hugs my friend from across the world. xoxo
I am so sorry for your loss. I am so glad the service was so special and that you have such wonderful support. I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.
PS- The first time I typed this my word verification word was winged. It reminds me of your angel.
What a beautiful service, thank you for sharing it. Your strength is amazing. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
I stumbled across your blog today and wept while reading your last 3 posts. I just miscarried at 7 weeks two days ago, and your situation has really put things in perspective for me. Your loss is unimaginable and I am so, so sorry. I simply cannot imagine. I have sent up a prayer for you and your husband.
It sounds like such a sweet, touching and intimate service. You two crafted a beautiful obituary for Lily. My heart melted that you read On the Night You Were Born...so perfect. I am deeply amazed by your grace, Rebecca. Sending prayers and love...
It looks like you had a beautiful service. She has an amazing mommy and daddy. Sending a big hug.
My heart is breaking for you and your husband. I don't know if its any comfort at all to know there is another broken hearted momma crying on her couch in Mississippi for your beautiful Lily, but I send you any comfort I can. This is a loss like no other. My Andrew has been gone for 6 months and my heart aches every day. I have gotten a lot of comfort from sharing my feelings on my blogs and reading the words of other mothers who've experienced this unspeakable pain. The pictures of Lily are beautiful and really show the great love shared by your family. I know you don't know me at all, but if you ever need anything at all, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Sending you love and hugs,
Lindsey
I am in awe of your ability to share with us as this has happened, day by day. You are an amazing woman, and your strength is an inspiration to so many of us...I keep thinking of you, wondering how you are holding up, and I can only hope that you find the strength that I know you have to move on, to try again if that's what you desire, or to do whatever it is that you feel is the right path for you and your dear husband. Many thoughts for you and your family.
What a lovely service. Those are very beautiful pictures. Praying for you both.
Rebbaca I often find myself thinking of you and what you are going through. I pray for you and for Nick. It sounds like you guys organised a beautiful sending off for your baby girl. I admire your strenght and faith through this tragedy. Thinking of you xx
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
Lily's service sounds touching and beautiful. Both Nick and you must be strong and graceful to have spoken at it.
From what Mike has told me and what your blog described, it sounds like it such a beautiful service. The songs are so touching! Mike and I pray for you constantly. Love you Becky!
Both you and Nick did an incredibly beautiful job of saying goodbye to Lillian at her memorial service. I was honored to be a part of it, for you guys sharing her story as well as your love for each other....it was deeply moving to say the least. You both continue to be in our prayers more often than you will ever know! Love you!
What a beautiful service you had for Lily. Her obituary was so tender. You gave such a wonderful tribute to your daughter.
Thinking of you
Hi Rebecca and Nick,
I'm still thinking of you and your precious Lillian Grace. Thank you for your comment on my blog.
I am sending you all love, hugs and prayers:)xoxo
Rebecca, this is just beautiful. You and Nick are so brave, and so wise, and so full of faith and love, even in the midst of your grief. I continue to keep you in my prayers, and wish there was something I could do to ease the heartache. *hugs* to you both.
What a beautiful service for a beautiful little girl... Hugs... (Also, have you heard the song "You Are Mine" by David Haas? It is beautiful.)
Oh, Rebecca...I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Lilian. I had not checked blogs in a while and read, wiping the tears from my eyes.
You were so encouraging, even if you don't remember, before my IVF in some emails that I had sent. It failed, but know that others were praying made it bearable.
I will be praying for you. I was so looking forward to "seeing" you thru this pregnancy. He is in control...praying for strength, comfort and rest for you in the coming days. Hold tight to HIM.
You are loved and being lifted up to the Father. You are an inspiration. His plans for you are beyond what we can imagine.
I found your blog via another baby loss blog.
Your baby is beautiful. Thinking of you and sweet Lillian tonight. Hoping you will have peace, strength and gentle moments in the days to come.
I don't know if you have heard of it, or been there, but glowinthewoods.com has been a lifeline for me.
Rebecca, it sounds like it was a beautiful service. And it is meaningful for those of us who have followed you and Nick and Lillian Grace - who were rooting for you, who were devastated for you - to hear the details. I thought of you through the entire weekend, as people hit the road for weekend trips and fireworks went off, and hoped that you were okay (though, it's kind of a useless word "okay" and I'm sure doesn't remotely fit your circumstances). I am sending you much love.
Rebecca,
I just found your blog, and I just want to say how deeply sorry I am for your loss. I too have been struggling to try and conceive for two years now, and we are just beginning fertility treatments - I can't imagine what you've gone through over the past two weeks after working so hard to get there.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband <3
April
Rebecca,
I'm so sorry about the loss of sweet Lillian Grace. What a beautiful name for a beautiful girl. The first weeks I remember as being very awful and raw. Be gentle with yourself. Now, at almost 5 months out from losing my daughter, the pain is still there but most days it's like a dull ache rather than a fresh wound. In the first month, I couldn't see how I would make it to a few months down the road, but I did, and time does help. I'll be thinking of you, Lillian and your DH, and keeping you in my heart.
R~I am so saddened that the reason we are brought together is through the loss of our babies. You commented on my blog and of course I had to come over to your blog and meet your Lillian. She is beautiful, I am so sorry for your loss and the pain you are going through. It is a long tough road and isn't easy. I will say that 6 months later life is doable. I have more good days than bad, but there isn't a day that I don't think about our babies. My only advice is don't listen to others and let yourself feel and move at your own pace. There is no right or wrong way to grieve. I chose to do most of my grieving publicly on my blog and with the women on thebump m/c loss board. It is sort of like I work through my feelings while writing and then once they are "out" there in the blog world I can leave them there and they no longer haunt me. I don't know if the same will work for you, but it looks like you are doing a great job documenting Lillian's service and then you will always know that you will never forget a detail. I will be thinking of you and saying prayers for your family. love, j
Rebecca- I was reading your sweet baby's story and then realized that we only live a few hours away and had to comment. My husband and I recently miscarried and I remember thinking how unfair it was that my body had to work and hurt when there would be no precious baby to reward me. I cannot imagine how you felt giving birth knowing that your sweet little girl wasn't ready to be born. I hope that the service gave you and your husband a time to mourn and reflect, and also to heal a little bit. Saying a prayer for you now and wishing you only the best in the future.
Post a Comment