Tuesday, July 13, 2010

30th Birthday & return to work...

Tomorrow marks my 30th Birthday, and while I know this means I should be celebrating, I really don’t feel like it. I’m going to do my best though to try and enjoy some pieces of joy, however small. My wonderful husband had suggested I treat myself to a massage if I feel up to it, still trying to decide if I do. He & I are planning to go out to dinner at one of my favorite places, Bonefish Grill. And of course I will be splurging on one of their delicious, crazy expensive drinks in proper B-day fashion:) So although I’m not in much of a celebratory mood there are some great things planned for the day, so God willing I’m going to make the most of them.

Where did I think I’d be when I turned 30? Certainly not where I am now…grieving the loss of my daughter who left this world only a little over two weeks ago. In my early twenties, I always thought of myself as having children around the age of 28…just seemed right, but as I soon learned, things don’t always work out as you plan them to. As the quote by Joseph Campbell says, “we must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” I’m really trying to let go of the belief that I have control over a lot of these things and come to terms with this, as well as recognize all of the good things I have that I never would have expected by 30. An incredible husband with whom I share such a strong relationship, an amazing group of friends & family that care deeply about us, a beautiful home, and a career I care deeply about. Lastly, at 30 I have a deeper sense of self, am far stronger than I have ever thought possible, and now have a perspective on life that only great tragedy can bring; these are the things I will be thankful for as I say goodbye to my 20’s and look towards what the future holds for the next part of my life.

Also, I ask that you all keep me in your thoughts & prayers, as I’m planning to try and return to work for the first time on Thursday. I thankfully am going back to a place of work that has been nothing but incredibly supportive of me throughout this tragedy and an amazing group of social workers that I know will be ready to listen and support me whenever I need them, but I am nervous to return to where I was last pregnant and the place that holds so many memories of that pregnancy. I really, really miss being pregnant & I miss Lily so much…it’s just so hard to accept.

Music is one of those things that has always touched me in a deep way and brings me comfort in difficult times. This song has really meant a lot to me these past few days; some of the lyrics seem so fitting given my life right now. Mostly I’m trying to have faith that, as one of the verses in the song says, “One day You will set all things right.”
Your Hands by JJ Heller…
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=w4gAoozKrMg&feature=related

A wonderful gift from another infant loss momma….thank you so much Kristin!

29 comments:

Jill said...

Happy birthday! I will be thinking of you tomorrow and as you go back to work. I remember those days so well. Happy you have supportive people there!

Jana said...

I will be thinking of you I hope your days goes okay tomorrow. A massage sounds nice--I hope you go get one.
I am glad you have a good group of coworkers at work.
What a beautiful picture/gift Kristin gave you.
You are so amazing. You strengthen and lift others during your time of sorrow.

Jody said...

Happy 30th Birthday! You have been on my heart so much these past few weeks, and even more so now that I know you and I were born just a week apart (I turn 30 next week). I pray that God continues to give you both strength during this tough time and as you return to work.

inBetween said...

Happy birthday! Give a big toast tomorrow to say goodbye to the extremely difficult year you've had, and then immediately give another big toast to the wonderful things that lie in your future. They *will* be there. And Lillian Grace will be looking out to make sure that they happen for you.

Marianne said...

Happy birthday! If you feel up to it you should really try to get that massage. I think it could be very healing. Or just do whatever the heck you want, you deserve it.

myinfertilitywoes said...

Happy birthday to you! I know it will be hard but try as much as you can to enjoy the day - you know her spirit would want you to. Love to you on your special day!

Danae said...

Happy Birthday! My birthday was exactly a week after we lost Bailey...not how I imagined spending it...

Going back to work is difficult...I too went back after 2 weeks, but having a supportive work enviroment makes a huge difference. Thinking of you on your birthday and as you get ready to take the next step on this journey! ((HUGS!!))

Cape Girl said...

Happy Birthday! I hope you have some times of joy tomorrow.

I know that going back to work will be hard, I couldn't even go to the grocery store after we lost Wyatt. Just take your time.

You're in my thoughts and prayers every day.

Mother Knows Best Reviews said...

Happy birthday to you! I hope that you have a peaceful day.

I will keep you in my prayers as you return to work. I won't lie to you - it's hard, and there will be times when you will need to cry. Make sure that you do it, and that you take care of yourself - do what you need right now, and everything will fall into place.

Sending you love.

Justine L said...

Oh, Rebecca. You are such a beautiful, brave soul, and you have wisdom far beyond your 30 years. I hope that tomorrow you catch small glimpses of the life that is "waiting for you" as you turn the page on another year.

Take the time you need to return to work ... I mean, if you need to step away for a minute, or five, or ten, do it. And know that there are so many arms holding you there, even in the moments when you are most alone. *hug*

Kakunaa said...

Try to have a good birthday...I know the dread...and I pray that your return to work goes well...of all the places to work, I am not sure it could be better than where you work. Best of luck as you continue to heal....

TwoDogMama said...

Happy Birthday and I understand your dread also. I thought by 30 I would have a baby at 28, and be on the way to baby number two. Here I sit at 31 with neither. But, I too have an incredible husband, friends, and a job I love. Plus I have grown so much over the past two and half years. Best wishes, have a wonderful birthday, and good luck.

misty w. said...

Praying for you....
I'm one of those with the age-hopes, too. Next week, I turn 35. Always wanted to have several kids before I turned 30. Now just praying that we can someday kick infertility in the booty and have at least one. You're not alone, that always helps me!
Happy Birthday!!! Hang in there and cling to HIM. Easier said than done, I know. But you can do it. Praying, praying, praying.

Laura said...

Happy birthday to you sweetie. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today as I find myself doing a little everyday. Will send you positive thoughts as you go back to work tomorrow.

- Mrs. D said...

Happy Birthday! You have so much strength, and I know God will be taking good care of you today, tomorrow, and always. I am thinking and praying for you on your birthday and first day back at work - I know Lillian will be watching over you :)

Glass Case of Emotion said...

Happy Birthday! You are very strong person to return to work so soon, and I am glad to hear you will be well supported there. I have found with loss that each thing I do the first time after no longer being pregnant is hard. And then it gets easier. Wishing you the best, and loving your beautiful picture.

RaisingCain said...

Happy birthday, again, dear friend.

Kristin said...

Happy birthday! You are so brave. I took 4 full weeks and 2 weeks of "short days" before going back to work. I'll be praying for you as you enter back into "the real world." Hoping this coming year in your life brings you the happiness and good things you deserve.

Much love.

Xoxo

Life Happens said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you do find some pieces of joy to celebrate. Good luck returning to work. It will be hard, but it sounds like you will be surrounded by very loving co-workers.

Liz said...

Hey Birthday girl. I have just read your back story and I am so sorry that this was not the birthday you planned. Take care and try and treat yourself.

One Who Understands said...

Happy birthday my dear friend. I am so sorry that it is not a better birthday with Lily still safe inside. I hope work goes well tomorrow. You are so amazingly strong. You are a shining example to all of us. (((HUGS)))

cdg said...

Wishing you peace on this birthday that I imagine is filled with so many different emotions for you. Good luck tomorrow on your first day back at work.

Adele said...

I am so glad that you are marking the day, though I do understand that you may not entirely feel like doing this. It's hard to make merry when, in your heart, you're feeling anything but.

The Joseph Campbell quote is such a good one. It makes me both sad and hopeful. More hopeful. One of those hopes is that 30 will bring you some wonderful, wonderful things.

TTC #1 said...

Happy 30th Birthday ! I hope you enjoyed your day. Good luck on your first day back at work. I am sure you will find comfort in seeing your coworkers and getting back to your career.
Take care.

Mattie said...

Happy Birthday! I hope today was peaceful for you. I will be praying for you as you return to work. It's a hard thing to do and our profession sometimes doesn't make it a lot easier.

I love JJ Heller, and all of her music, but Your Hands is especially close to my heart as well.

Big Hugs!

Roccie said...

Thinking of you, your birthday, your loss, your Lillian, your return to work. All of it.

babyinterrupted said...

Thinking of you today. I hope it's going as well as possible.

embieadoptmom said...

I am so sorry of the loss of your sweet baby girl...I cannot comprehend. I too, live in KS and pray that you will read my blog and gain encouragement from it. If you would like to email me privately I would LOVE to help you on your new journey. I live in KS also!

Hugs, Jen

Allison said...

I also turned 30 just a few weeks after I lost Drew. My birthday felt like a cruel reminder of everything we lost.
Your positivity and strength during this incredibly difficult experience are inspirational. I hope that you were surrounded by love, support, and compassion on your birthday. I am thinking about you.

Post a Comment