Talking with another BLM tonight, I realized it’s part of the package for all of us, but none of us knows how exactly to handle these situations, these questions and conversation starters that appear so normal and commonplace to the rest of the world but are landmines to those who have lost their babies. Now when we attend parties, I avoid those with babies and tense when women start discussing their children or pregnancy because I know, inevitably, if I don’t somehow excuse myself from the group, the questions will come my way and it’s such an impossible answer to give. Do I answer honestly, thus making the rest of the group uncomfortable, or do I deny my daughter by answering no, thus leaving me with a sense of guilt and sadness.
I wanted to share an excellent article written from the male perspective on loss. Sadly, there were many parts of his story that were eerily familiar; I continue to be surprised at how much sadness exists in this world and thankful that somehow there is still hope.
With all the sadness and uncertainty that I continue to be reminded of in this world, I try to accept that there are many things which are out of my control. As the Serenity Prayer so perfectly says, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”















22 comments:
I have not suffered a loss like you have, Rebecca. I can't imagine how awkward those situations can be and the multiple dilemas you are faced with answering a question truthfully or not answering it at all.
My bff who experienced a preterm birth at 24 weeks would sometimes answer the question like this (depending on her mood). "Yes I have a son, but he is with Jesus." It was straight and too the point. Sometimes it shut people up, and sometimes, if the person was brave enough, would sincerely ask to know his story.
Sometimes though, its safer on the heart to just not say anything at all. But give it time and maybe in a year you can answer the question and people will hear Lily's story with compassionate hearts.
(((HUGS)))
Social situations and the expected etiquette are so difficult. I tend toward not making other people comfortable. If someone asks me a question I answer honestly, but I am not normal. LOL. I think you should answer in whatever way gives you peace at the time...and I have no doubt that will change day to day. HUGS.
thanks for sharing these with us. I read the male persepctive article in O also and couldn't believe how amazingly well it was written and how much resonated with me. thinking of you, especially now...
Always do what's best for you...you are honoring your daughter no matter what you say by just remembering and loving her on an everyday basis. She will always be remembered and hold a place in your heart. And she will still love you no matter what you say or do. Her love is never-ending. As Kakunaa said, I hope that whatever you say brings you some peace.
Thank you for sharing that link. I am constantly in social situations, due to the nature of my work and my husbands work (we are in the music industry) and it is always so stressful dealing with them.
I just finished that book and you are right, it is a perfect description of how life really is after a loss. One of the parts that really struck me was when she talks about how the whole time you are pregnant you are expecting your life to change when the baby comes and you are excited for this change. Then when you lose your baby, you are right back where you started...only worse. I have felt that way so many times. I don't want this life with minimal responsibility, i was ready for a life with my daughter.
I like her idea for cards, too. I have felt the same as you describe in so many social situations. Rehearsing what I will say in my head if I am asked that question. It is so hard to answer without being true to yourself and making someone uncomfortable.
Sending hugs!
I really appreciate your honesty and openness. Thank you. Know that I think of you multiple times every day and send you love. I wish my thoughts and love could make your journey easier.
The idea of cards reminds me of a man I recently met. He has a terribly disfigured face and hands out a little pamphlet to people when he first meets them. He was born with Treacher Collins syndrome, no ears, no eye sockets, and wasn't expected to live for more than a year. His parents put him up for adoption and he was lucky enough to be adopted by a family that took in numerous children with severe birth defects. After 21 surgeries he's now a PhD candidate doing research on craniofacial disorders. His story is inspiring, and I was blown away with how upfront his is about his life. I think of him every day and admire his strength.
I kind of wish in some way that there was a physical mark that people who have lost children would bear. That the check-out person in the grocery store would know, that everyone could see the pain you've been through and respect the strength it takes to get through every day. It's the invisible-ness that makes the loss even harder...
i finished this book a few weeks ago and i couldn't agree with you more about your thoughts on it. beautiful book, every babyloss mother should read it
I am 18 months out from my loss-and my rainbow baby is here-and I still have NO idea what happened, how this happened, and I definitely have no clue what to say when faced with those questions.
What I have learned, if anything, is that there really is no right answer. With grief, its' whatever goes. And sometimes you make choices to say things that
I totally agree about the pysical mark. At one point, I honestly contemplated making up business cards that say something about my loss and just handing it to people-especially at the doctor's office, since they can't seem to read your chart!
It's honestly so exhausting.
You are doing great, mama.
xoxo
I know it is different for everyone, and I do not believe that there is a right or wrong way to answer, however, for me personally, I have been through too much to say I don't have children. Between my losses, I have been in labor for almost 100 hours. I like you, have held a lifeless, beautiful little person, my child in my arms. I understand why it is hard to say the words, but I encourage you to speak the truth when you can. I have for over 3 years now, and it's amazing how when you open up to people, you realize that there are people who have gone through similar situations, but like you were scared to talk about it. =) My thoughts and prayers are with you!
I agree with those who commented previously.
Say what you can handle. It may be different from person to person and hour to hour in the same day. Your strength and love for Lily is what honors her, not whether or not you share too much/too little with a well meaning person.
My heart continues to ache for you and your hubby.
Oh how I feel for you!
Thankyou so much for your lovely comment on my blog post announcing our MFI - when I hopped online yesterday and checked my email, it was like receiving a huge hug, and was just what I needed.
Thankyou.
Jo
That prayer is a good reminder, and I'm glad that you've found the book good so far. Thanks so much for the time you've taken to encourage me. Sending love as you start your week.
"Is she your only child?" said the stupid, callous, clearly fertile moron.
"Yes, today she is my only child," said the weary Momma, watching for a sign of recognition.
Some of them get it.
You write so beautifully about this painful experience. Social situations feel full of landmines sometimes. I wish more of these women thought before they started in with the litany of questions. ((hugs))
So many people cannot hold others' grief. Not at all. They don't have the capacity. And some can. It's amazing what a gamble it is to open oneself up and be real with others. It can come at a high cost or it can open up a new dialogue, create a new friendship.
Here's a poem I like from David Whyte. I thought it might be one that reflects a bit of what you are talking about in your post.
those who will not slip beneath
the still surface on the well of grief
turning downward through its black water
to the place we can not breathe
will never know the source from which we drink,
the secret water, cold and clear
nor find in the darkness glimmering
the small round coins
thrown by those who wished
for something else.
-David Whyte
I love the idea of having cards to hand out rather than negotiating that awkward and uncomfortable conversation about whether or not we have children. I have started to say “Our son was due in October, but he passed away in May.” One woman reacted so quickly to the first part of what I was saying that she gave a look of shock at my tummy before realizing what I actually said. I have come to accept other people’s awkwardness. I have never been very socially adept, so I tend to think I make people uncomfortable anyway. I have tortured myself when I haven’t acknowledged Drew, so I try to whenever I can. I hope that you can find what is most comfortable for you…Yet another struggle us BLMs have to go through. My heart is with you! Thank you so much for posting that article. I just sent it to my husband.
Hey, just wanted to let you know that I presented you with an award over at my blog. =D
Great blog! It is so exhausting to get these questions out in public. I am pregnant again and no matter where I go, someone asks me if this my first. Its so tiring to me, but i have the worst time denying my son. I usually say I lost a son at full-term, or if I'm too tired to go that route, I just simply say no and try to walk away as quickly and politely as possible. Ugh.
Also, thanks for checking out my blog! As far as knitting goes, I have yet to use a pattern for my blankets! I just measured a receiving blanket and figured it out myself (horrible I know, but its been working out so far). I hope to use a pattern someday though =)
What a beautiful post. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to sometimes be 'forced' to deny your daughter in order to maintain a certain social grace. You're in my thoughts.
I left something for you on my blog. :)
http://journeyafterjosey.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-lovely-blog-award.html
I've held off reading the McCracken. Not because I think it won't be meaningful for me but because I'm afraid I might be reduced to a puddle on the first page.
Those questions - asked so innocently - are terrible. I like the idea of those cards.
Post a Comment