Tuesday, October 19, 2010

We will remember...

We spent the past weekend traveling to Alabama to be with our friends as they grieve the loss of their son. It’s so hard to accept this heartbreaking loss. They are some of the kindest people we know and have been so supportive to us during our loss, and to see them now in so much pain is difficult. We felt honored to have the opportunity to be with them and try to return some of the love and support they have shown us, but I still feel it’s hardly enough. The memorial service was heartbreaking; the father gave the most beautiful, touching eulogy. It was such a tribute to the incredible love that they so obviously have for their son. Seeing the anguish and pain my friend was experiencing as she tried to walk into the church for her son’s funeral will be forever etched into my mind. To know there is nothing I can do to take away that pain is extremely hard. As we drove back yesterday I felt so torn and cried feeling so helpless, wishing that I wasn’t so far away and could be more available to her in what I know will be a difficult journey in the coming days.

It’s hard to fathom how quickly life can change and how unexpectedly death can take from us those who we love most. Our friends just had pictures taken with their beautiful son a couple of days before his death. You can see so much love evident in those pictures and can’t help but think how unfair it is that he was taken from such loving parents.

This is a poem another friend shared at a local Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness event; it seems fitting to the grief and loss my friend and I have suffered this past year. We will never forget the children that were taken from us, the hole that they have left behind in our lives, and the piece of our hearts that will forever be broken in their absence.

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

With every loss I hear about, my heart breaks a little more. I am glad you were able to make the trip to Alabama to support your friends. I have found just being present is sometimes the best thing someone can do for another.

Also, thanks for the poem...I was needing that right now to get me from day to day.

Amber said...

I'm so sorry for your friends' loss. :( Though I've never experienced that, my heart really aches for them. I will keep them (and you!) in my prayers.

Angie said...

That poem always makes me cry, but I love it.

I'm so sorry for your friend's loss, and I'm sure this can't be easy on you either.

It's just not fair. Babies shouldn't die.

You and your friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

Roccie said...

You know what that kind of support means. They will be able to pull on the strength you gave them when they need it.

I hope you are feeling safe and strong in your seat. It is easy to let this take you back to your own painful place.

RaisingCain said...

You are the most supportive friend. Even though you are physically far away, I'm sure she knows how emotionally close you are to her and what a gift you are.

Still A Guest Room said...

Thank you for your encouraging words on my blog...your story is truly inspiring, and I look forward to following your journey.

Mrs. Chapman's 2nd Grade Class said...

I'm so sorry about your friend's loss. It is a wonderful thing that you were there to support them and that you are still there even though not in person.

Adele said...

Rebecca, I have been thinking about you and about your friend since you posted this terrible news. Things happen in the world and...they leave me at a loss, honestly. I just can't fathom them nor wrap my head around them. It must have been a very emotional time. For them, clearly, and also for you guys. I'm so very, very sorry.

I like the poem. Especially the last stanza. It's true. Hugs to you.

Justine L said...

Your friend is lucky to have your support and love right now ... their loss makes me heartsick. I left a comment on your friend's blog, but I wish I could do something for them. I'm holding them--and you--in my thoughts.

Rhiannon said...

Rebecca, I have been thinking about you so much in the last week. I am feeling sure that seeing your friends in such pain over losing their son just brings up so many emotions for you and your husband about losing Lily. It is just so unfair that these things happen in life. I am so truly sorry. Please know that I am thinking about you and sending lots of strength, hugs and love your way...

Thank you for sharing that poem...it is beautiful.

Allison said...

You and your friend's family have been on my mind. What happened to her son is just heartbreaking. I am glad to know that she has your loving friendship to help her at this most difficult time. You all are in my heart. <3

Heather said...

I'm so sorry for your friends' loss. Sending prayers their way.

Christina said...

Simply heartbreaking. Losing a child violates the natural order of things. No one should have to endure that pain. Your friend is lucky to have you.

Anonymous said...

I am so heartbroken over your friends loss. I'm so sorry they are having to deal with the pain no one should have to deal with.

Augusta said...

There is so much grace in the fact that you could be with them at this time. Most people could not bear to be with a young couple facing such a loss. You and your husband have so much love in your hearts and so much compassion that you were able to be with them.
I suspect that regardless of the geographical distance between you and your friend, you two will continue to be close through this painful connection of loss.
What a tragedy. I'm so sorry for their loss, and for yours.
Sending many hugs.

Damita said...

Aw so heartbreaking :(

*hugs*

Elaine VanDRiver said...

Even though you are far away, I am sure your friend can feel all your support and love. I'm so sorry to hear this happened to such a loving couple. I'll say a little prayer tonight.

~Elaine

daega99 said...

Oh my goodness - Many hugs and prayers to your friend.

ICLW
http://daega99-arewethereyet.blogspot.com/

Cece said...

Oh. That is just heartbreaking. Having been through a loss myself - and knowing that you have too - I can't imagine having to see a friend go through that. Because now you really know the hurt that they are feeling. And I'm sure it's brought to the surface feeling for you too. Hugs to both of you.

ICLW http://child-bearing-hips.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I am so so sorry for your friends loss, and yours as well. Both of your families are in my heart and prayers.

ICLW #8

KAM said...

This is heartbreaking. Hugs and prayers to both you and their families.
~ICLW

Triumph in Learning said...

I'm so sorry for both you & your friends loss. It breaks my heart. You are blessed to have each other as a friend.

Praying for you both.

Hugs,
Hannah

*ICLW*

Krissi said...

That is heart breaking! I am so sorry. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends. It must be comforting to know that you can be there for one another during such a difficult time.

Courtney said...

Being a baby loss mother myself, I know how incredibly difficult going through the loss of a child is. It is so incredibly unfair. =*(

*hugs* to you and your friends.

ICLW #163

Post a Comment