Hard to believe that as of tomorrow it’s been three months since our world was completely turned upside down and life as we knew it was changed. Sometimes I feel like it’s been so much longer; the emotions of grief make time seem to slow and require so much effort to move forward, yet at other times it feels like yesterday. We’re trying though to both honor Lily’s life and continue to live ours. We’ve accepted that our lives will never be the same; we will always carry with us the pain of losing Lily. The happy moments in our lives will forever be colored with a bit of sadness, knowing that there is a person missing, someone that should be also sharing in the memories that make up our family’s history. I will never again be able to answer the question “do you have children” with a simple answer. I will always hesitate, unsure of how to answer. I should have been about to go into my last month of pregnancy with Lily, instead I am remembering her on the three month anniversary of the day she left this world.
Now on to more hopeful news; our embryo adoption is thankfully moving forward smoothly. We had a phone consult with the doctor at the donor family’s clinic on Friday. She has agreed to have our clinic here follow her prescribed protocol and complete the mock transfer, then we’ll be flying to their clinic for the actual transfer. We were also relieved to hear her say that she would recommend a single embryo transfer; she believes that given the quality of these embryos and my history we would have as high as a 50-60% chance of success! This clinic obviously has FET’s down to a science, she said their embryo survival rates after thawing are around 90-95%! This was also a relief as we hope to have more than one child with our donor family’s embryos. So when my next cycle begins, I’ll be starting on BCP’s again and gearing up for hopefully a November or December transfer.
I came across this ancient Chinese proverb the other day and I thought it was a fitting way to describe this journey we’re on with our donor family. It is a journey none of us could have predicted or imagined, but one that we are embracing with hope.
“An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break.”
Sunday, September 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















19 comments:
Love, love, love the quote. Perfect.
I wish you the very best of luck!!!
I've been thinking about you and Lily a lot recently, as I hit the 22 week mark. She left a deep imprint in this world ... and though there will always be a missing person in your family's memories, in many ways, she will be very present, not just for you but for a lot of people, I suspect.
Thinking positive thoughts for the next steps for you ... I love the quote, too.
beautiful quote, and hugs! going to light a candle for your sweet Lily Grace. she is always with you, and tonight i will remember her.
xoxo
lis
Just wanted to let you know that I'm also thinking of Lily today. Thank you for sharing her story with us.
I can't believe it has been 3 months. My thoughts are with you as you move forward with your next step. It is all sounding so amazingly smooth. Many hugs to you. You have given so many of us courage through our own trials.
That is such a beautiful quote!
Wonderful quote!
ICLW #49
That is a beautiful quote, perfect for everything you have experienced. I am thinking about you and sweet Lily today. You are a wonderful mother to your beautiful angel. <3 I am so glad that everything is going so well with the embryo adoption. My thoughts continue to be with you!
that is a beautiful quote. there is actually a very good children's book about adoption called The Red Thread and it is based on a Chinese fairy story.
I love the quote and so happy to hear that things are moving along for you and the embryo adoption. :)
Thinking of you and Lily always, but especially today. You have been on my mind and in my heart.
Lots of love and hugs my friend!
Thinking of and praying for you today!
That is a great FET success rate! It sounds like you are in great hands with that clinic.
Sending you love ;o)
Here's to remembering Lily with you. I hope that the day wasn't so bad and you were surrounded by family and friends who love and care for you. (((hugs))) Sending prayers for the success of your embryo adoption.
Been thinking about you and praying for you! This weekend at church, our priest said that life is precious and to celebrate it. It made me think of you and smile... you continue to do that for Lily and your promising future.
Best of luck with the upcoming FET!
Gorgeous quote. So many things to ask, to share and to learn once that string brings us back. It blows my mind sometimes.
Do you have kids? Is this your first? I could write and write and write about how to answer that question. I used to say "Pretty much" or "Kind of". Some people get it. Those are the people who count.
You know. You wanted to write a book. What about the embryo donor children's book? Why shouldn't it be you? Think of the dedication you could write.
Remembering Lily Grace and thinking of you today. She will always be your daughter and you will always be her mother. Love the quote. Good luck with the cycle and the mock transfer. Sending strength and admiration your way:)
So glad to hear things are moving along with the FET. I also think of you and your Lily often. I think you have survived these past few months with such grace. I have a cousin who lost her sweet baby girl Bessie Ann when she was only a few months old. When people ask her how many children she has, she always says two who live with me, one who lives in heaven.
It must be so strange to feel time pass in a completely different way than you are used to. Grief always does that: it slows time and speeds it up in a strange paradox.
I just want to say that I honour Lily's life, even if it was so brief, and I honour your loss. I send you and your husband healing thoughts.
I am glad to read that things are moving along for the FET. Grief and hope get to sit side by side in your heart. Luckily, you have an enormous heart, one that can accommodate such a pair.
Sending you warm hugs, dear woman.
I can't imagine how difficult it is to walk the tightrope of honoring Lily and living your lives. As you've so eloquently written - her absence will always be there. But how I am hoping that there will also be other little ones there, living and healthy. I already know they'll be happy.
Post a Comment