Friday, September 10, 2010

Game plan...

We had a good visit with our RE today to discuss in detail the embryo adoption and develop a bit of a plan for moving forward from here. She said that although clinics rate their embryos differently, the information they received about the embryos was very descriptive. She went over the report with both their embryologist and a Ph.D at the University of Kansas Medical School. Overall, their success rate for Frozen Embryo Transfers (FETs) is about half of fresh cycles, so she definitely recommends transferring 2 embryos. She also said that although they would be happy to do the frozen transfer there, we also have the option of doing the transfer at the clinic where the donor family received treatment and where the embryos were both created and frozen. I need to have a sonohystogram done to make sure everything looks good since I had a recent pregnancy, so that was scheduled for next Wednesday. For those of you who aren’t familiar, a sonohystogram is an ultrasound procedure that can determine if there are abnormalities inside the uterus that might interfere with pregnancy.  The procedure involves having a catheter inserted into the uterine cavity, then injecting a small amount of saline into the uterus and using an ultrasound probe to examine the uterus. I've had one of these before prior to our first IVF cycle so I know what to expect, although it was pretty uncomfortable last time it’s nothing I can’t handle.

At first Nick and I were sure that we wanted to do the transfer at our clinic if they would do it, but after looking at the statistics the CDC keeps for success rates at every clinic we’ve found that the donor family’s clinic has much more experience doing FETs as well as much higher success rates (at least from the latest data in 2007). We need to talk about it a little more, but we are seriously considering traveling to the donor family’s clinic to have the FET done. We really just want to have the highest chance of success, and although Nick's been to the northeast once, I've never made it out there, so maybe we could take a little vacation along the way!

I was reminded today at work that although we may feel at times we have it hard, there are always situations which are worse; perspective is worth a lot, and I think all of us can use a dose of that from time to time. I was working with a patient who has been battling cancer for many years. She is relatively young and they’ve determined there is no more that can be done, so I helped to arrange for hospice and walk them through that process. It was a reminder of how sacred life is and that none of us know for certain what lies ahead.

19 comments:

Kakunaa said...

Where is the clinic you will be traveling to? I really, really hope this works out for you, sweetie. And sometimes that kind of perspective is good, but so, so sad, at the same time.

Jess said...

Praying for you as you decide where to have the FET done. And for a BFP!!!

Jana said...

oh no, not another sonohyst!

sounds like you have a good game plan in place. i will be cheering you on.

Amber said...

How exciting! I think I'd go to their clinic too, what a great excuse for a mini-vacation! (Easy for me to say, I know...) But whatever you decide will be just perfect!

Roccie said...

Sometimes that feeling that others have it worse feels like relief.

It sure doesn't mean you haven't seen the very bottom of life just because your heart is big enough to care for another.

Justine L said...

You have such a generous heart, Rebecca.

And I don't know where in the northeast you're going, but if you're anywhere near NJ/NYC, you have a place to stay if you want one, and I'd love to meet you!

Angie said...

So happy that your RE meeting went well.

Blech, hopefully this hsg is even easier than the first one, but it's definitely no fun.

I think using the clinic with the higher success rate is a good idea, I hope all of the planning continues to go smoothly.

Clare said...

Yes indeed. We never know what lies ahead - I remind myself of this all the time too. My husband keeps telling me - we have each other, we are healthy - this is a true blessing which we should never forget. Wishing you the best for the sono. xx

TwoDogMama said...

I agree we never know what could be ahead of us. I need to remember and to try to keep living in the present and not in the future version of what I want my life to look like.

Anonymous said...

I am glad your visit with the RE went so well.

Rhiannon said...

So happy that things are moving along for you and the plan for the FETs! :) Perspective is something, isn't it? Just when we think we have it bad, we are reminded that tragedy is all around us and that life is so precious. Good luck next Wednesday, I will be thinking of you...big hugs!

tireegal68 said...

I vote for the clinic with the high success rate! They vary so much and it makes a big difference! . Maybe you can talk to the north eastern clinic and ask more details about their rates rather than relying on SART results from 2007.
Perspective is an interesting thing. I'm sure thst young woman derived comfort from you. Good luck on the next steps!

Adele said...

Makes perfect sense for you to travel to that clinic. In your shoes, I'd do precisely the same thing. I'm so excited for you, Rebecca. Things are really taking shape! I'm kind of selfishly hoping that you might be through New York way, as I'd love the chance to meet you!

(Everything crossed for your sonohysterogram!)

Krista said...

I think traveling to the donor family's clinic sounds like a good idea. Fingers and toes and eyes crossed for a happy ending for this FET!

Jenn said...

No real opinion on which clinic to use (since we're a success story from your local one, but not FET).
But I'd say go with your heart. I think you have to make this journey without leaving room for the avoidable "I wish I would have..." to be there. There's enough of the unavoidable ones as it is.
There's something to be said for the comforts of home and the doctors you know. There's also something to be said for statistics.

Best wishes no matter what route you go!!

Laura said...

wow I am so happy to hear things seem to be moving fast on the embryo adoption. good on you for researching which clinic to go for and if you can have a little break together with the FET why not?? I am sending you positive energy as you make your decision. thinking of you xx

Christina said...

Oh, the decisions! When will you be starting the meds? I suppose that depends on the clinic you choose, huh?! My first SHG was miserable, but the second one wasn't bad at all. I hope yours goes well!

I hate it when crappy crap happens--I don't think I would do well with hospice work. Those people are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hoping all shows well at your SHG! We just had ours this morning..oy vey. It sounds like you are taking everything into consideration and getting such a healthy perspective on all this. Crossing fingers that you find success, hon.

Kate said...

I just saw your post from Britney's blog, Waiting on God, and followed the link here to your site. My husband and I are just starting to pray about embryo adoption and I am so thankful to be finding so many amazing sites with couples like you guys that are transparent and real about the process God has you working through. I will definitely be following your story! Thanks for being open to your readers about intensely personal and difficult struggles.

Post a Comment