Anger and sadness seem to inhabit me today. I woke up feeling good; the weather has been amazing these past few days and its incredible how much better I feel with fresh air blowing through the house. Then we went to church and as they sang How Great is Our God I couldn’t help but begin to cry, because I just don’t feel that way right now. I began to think back to that last day I had with Lily, holding my stomach in the back of an ambulance as contractions painfully rippled through my body and I prayed that somehow my baby would not be lost. My daughter is dead. The baby that we so desired, made so many sacrifices to have, and prayed countless prayers over is dead, and I absolutely do not feel that God is great right now. And on top of that we have infertility to contend with, all those well meaning people who say, oh you guys can try again…I just want to scream at them no, no we can’t, it’s not that simple. The injustice of infertility is maddening and the deep pain it inflicts is intense. To know the irresponsible teenager rubbing her perfect pregnant belly in the grocery store can so easily have what we have paid thousands and made so many sacrifices to have yet still eludes us is an incredibly heartbreaking reality to accept. And I would be lying if I said it doesn’t make me feel incredibly angry.
I’ve been trying to work through my grief not just about losing Lily, but also losing the chance to have a biological child with my husband. This is not an easy thing to accept, and unless you have been there you cannot begin to understand the pain of working through this. It is letting go of ever seeing your spouse’s eyes or nose or smile in the face of your child. It is so many other countless things I can’t even begin to explain properly.
I took at knitting class yesterday and for the most part really enjoyed myself, but as it always seems to do when you get a group of women together, the conversation flowed to their children and for one lady in the group her baby. I sat there trying hard to focus on my knitting, telling myself breath deeply, stay strong, do not break down, while also wondering how they’ll respond if they ask if I have children and I tell them the truth. Thankfully, someone in the group made a mistake on their pattern and the conversation diverted to other things. It’s not that I don’t love to talk about Lily, I do, but most people have a hard time listening to someone talk about the baby they lost. It is a reality of life that the general public would rather gloss over and pretend doesn’t exist.
As we drove through town yesterday, I saw that that the Halloween stores have opened for the season and I felt such sadness. This time of year looks so much different than what I had expected. Instead of preparing for my first child’s birth, I am left grieving her and trying to prepare for how to honor her on her expected due date. My heart and soul ache deeply today for the child that I will never hold again. And while I so desperately want to be pregnant again and am so thankful for the gift of embryo donation and the amazing donor family we have been blessed with, at the same time I feel terrified of losing another child. Ultimately, we want a child to love, a little person that we can raise and call our own no matter how that occurs. Is that really too much to ask? So I’m sorry God, but today I need to feel this anger. I need to feel it so that ultimately I can let go of it.
Sunday, September 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















35 comments:
I won't get to see my husband in our child, and it is a little weird. I am so glad we got any opportunity, bit is weird...we have no idea what that other half of genetics will provide...
Be angry. Good for you!
((hugs))
We are only a month from being a year out, and believe me, there are a lot of times I'm still pretty angry with God. Especially with the "god's plan" people (ie. "sorry your baby died, but it was god's plan") --I wanted to tell the woman who said this to me to go to hell, she had obviously not watched one of her babies die, how dare she excuse it like that!
The worst part of baby loss+ infertility is that I find myself jealous of women who have lost babies too (who then go on to get pregnant easily and plan it out like "we're going to start trying in a couple months because we don't want a summer due date.") Blech. Then you feel guilty for being jealous...etc. etc. etc.
Basically, this just sucks. All of it. :( I am sorry you are having a rough time lately. I have found that for me, it ebbs and flows, with the bad days being fewer and farther between as time passes. The period before your due date, and immediately after your due date, does get pretty rough though, or at least for me it was.
I'm so sorry you are feeling this way but I get it. We can't have a genetic child either and that was just another blow in a string of losses. Most of the time I am okay with it, but sometimes out of the blue it hits me. I teach high school and see lots of pregnant teens and I just want to scream. Some days are good and some days are bad. I use to love this time as year as well, but now I am stuck with the anniversary of when I finally found out I was pregnant, my ectopic anniversary, and then the day I lost my fallopian tubes. I will never be able to look at fall again in the same way. I hope tomorrow is better for you and you are in my thoughts.
I'm sorry it's been a tough day for you. You're very much entitled. Everything you have been through (and are still going through) would be enough to bring the strongest person to their knees. You are a brave and beautiful person.
I could almost feel the panic in my chest as you described the conversation of babies at the knitting table. Ugh! ((HUGS))
We faced a lot of problems getting pregnant with Lily and then I had the uterine rupture the same day that we lost her...I had doctors telling me to never use my uterus again and all I could think about was having a biological baby. I know that adoption is a beautiful option but I was only 30 at the time and not ready to give up the possiblity of having a child come from my womb...God brought me through some very dark times and He did fulfill the desires of my heart with Cooper. My prayers are that you do feel God's arms around you during this period of intense grieving. It's been over 2 years since my loss but I can still vividly remember the ache in my heart those first few months. God's love and mercy were the only things that sustained me...
I'm here if you ever need to talk ((HUGS))
There is no rhyme or reason to grief, and whatever you feel, God can handle it. I don't think humans would have been made to feel anger otherwise ... it's part of what makes us who and what we are ... all of the beauty, and sadness, and joy, and pain we feel and express. I love the cherry blossom tattoo ... such a perfect metaphor for something that is beautiful for such a short period of time, but leaves us too fast. *hugs*
I am sorry you had a rough day. Sundays can be hard because you hear everyone else praising God and sometimes in the midst of the grief and pain you just don't feel that way.
I wish I could give you a real hug instead of always just a virtual one. But I guess it will have to do.
((hugs))
{{{Rebecca}}} Thinking of you and praying for you and your dh. And I know what you mean about being thankful and excited about embryo adoption, but also grieving not seeing a part of yourself or your dh in your child. What I can tell you is that when you hold that little one in your arms it no longer matters. You will love him or her so completely that all you see is love.
I am so sorry. After we lost Wyatt, I couldn't believe how many people just said, "You're young, try again." The loss is horrible, and then putting IF on top of it makes it even more devastating. I hope tomorrow is a brighter day. (((hugs)))
I can relate to what you're feeling. I get angry at God, too. But like you said, we need to feel this anger so we can let it go and not keep it inside. It's tough going through days like these but I hope the coming days will be better for you. Sending you love and peace of mind.
I can't imagine how you couldn't feel angry...so sorry Becky, you guys are still in or prayers! We love you SO much!!!
I am sending you Hugs and praying for better days.
I had a lot of deep spiritual words of encouragement to "stay strong" and all that but honestly what I really want to say is, I'm sorry. Trust me I know how bad this sucks. It was like reading my own thoughts from a year ago. All I can say is it DOES get better. With time... and perspective. Learn from this. Love you. <3
Grief is something that you never really say your final goodbyes to. It will might leave for a moment or a day or even a week, but it always returns. Hopefully, over time, it will stay away for long periods. But when you suffer a loss as intense as yours, it never goes away. Accepting that you will always be a person with such a heavy burden of grief is a difficult task. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts and in my heart.
I can't even imagine what you must be going through sweetie but I do feel your pain. You are such a strong woman and I am sure you will get through this, one day at the time, I am sure of it. Just want to let you know I am thinking of you and praying for you and your husband.
I like what Justine says. I believe God can handle it.
I have had a lot of knock down, drag out fights about it. If anyone would ever get struck down by lightning, let me tell you, it is me. I asked for it. "I DARE you. You better watch your back 'cause I will FIND you and give you a piece of my mind." Anger is part of the process. I found it productive but not until it was completed.
I will never look at April the same. It has gotten easier over the years, but certain days when most people think spring is magnificent, I can only think of what I lost at 24 wks.
I am interested to learn your thoughts on donor embryos. I need to get reading.
I don't know what to say except that we are all thinking about you and praying for you. God understands that you're mad, it would be insane not to be. He understands.
I agree with the others - God can take it. And you wouldn't be human if you didn't get angry and question.
I think that's one of the terrible things about grief - you can be okay and then, suddenly, you are deep in despair. There's no clear end to it. It just goes on and on. And what you say about coming to terms with the idea of not having a biological child with your spouse...it's so difficult, Rebecca. And another very potent form of grief (which, when added to what you're already dealing with makes for an unbearable amount for any one person to carry on her back).
I'm glad the conversation in your knitting circle moved on.
Girl...I can relate to so much of what you said. You are not alone. Thanks for sharing your heart. I'm praying for you. He's listening...even when we're mad/frustrated/confused at the path He's led us down. Ultimately, we know all things work together for good, for those who love Him. It's so hard, I'm not gonna lie. Ugh. I'm so sorry. Life is SO unfair...I'm having to make myself TRUST THAT HE is Good. I know He is.
Let is out - we're here for you. I know how you feel about God right now. I'm feeling quite the same way. We haven't been to church in about 4 weeks because of my surgery, but honestly, I think I would think up excuses if I could. I'm just not feeling it. Thank you for reminding me of that song, though. I also like Here I am Lord. I feel like that song is more saying 'please, come help me God' Maybe listen to that one? Sending you (((hugs)))
Oh, Rebecca. My heart just breaks for you. I can not imagine the pain you are going through, but God certainly knows. And He is mourning with you. It is okay to be angry and get mad... God knows how you feel and will help you through this rough time. Sending you lots of hugs and prayers :)
I am so sorry that you had a bad day yesterday, I hope that today is better. I know what you mean about the pain associated with not only the loss of your daughter but also infertility piece of it. I have thought so many times about how unfair it is that we wanted our children so badly, prayed for them, sacrificed and then to have it all taken away while the teenager next door is just as pregnant as can be. It sucks! It is ok to be angry at God, he understands and he knows that you need to be angry right now. Thinking of you and Lily. HUGS! <3
Rebecca, I have/do feel all those same things. Anger towards God for my daughters untimely death and life of suffering, wanting to have a bio child still, excitement over EA, frustration with teen pregnancies (or any crappy parent that can keep popping them out with no questions asked)---all of it.
I do have a beautiful, happy, loving daughter from EA that I love with all my heart. I know that I don't love her any differently than I would a bio child, but there is still a part of me that really wishes that we could simply get pregnant and have a healthy child--for many reasons. And, now I feel like I probably never will get to experience another pregnancy (mainly because I'm not sure if I can go through another FET cycle) and I'm grieving that also.
I'm just saying that I get it. It really sucks.
My heart aches for you and your husband. My eyes swelled with tears when I read your post. I am so sorry that Lily is no longer physically with you. I know that your daughter will always fill your heart. <3 I am sending you big hugs and loving thoughts. I hope that this week is a gentle one.
Its amazing how those feelings come out of nowhere on certain days. Actually, depending on the minute is when I have those feelings.
I had a hard time singing How Great is Our God after my son died. I don't typically sing songs that I can't envision my heart actually feeling. Some days I can sing it because my head knows that it is true, other days I can't. I will sit and cry out to God and pray that my heart will catch up with my head soon.
thanks for sharing your heart,
Hannah
(((hugs)) Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you today
Hi Huni. I just want to thank you for writing this post and being so honest about all you feel. I too have had my angry moments, been angry with God, and sometimes I still do feel anger. You will survive this and your heart will heal - but none of us will ever be the same. Thinking of you.
I can't even begin to understand your journey with infertility, but my heart breaks for you that you have that to deal with on top of losing Lily. It is hard to understand how THIS could be God's plan. I can only hope that someday you will be able to look back on these days and understand, although I know right now that might seem difficult to see.
i feel as if i could have written your first paragraph. it has brought me to tears.
I am sorry. That is all I can say.
Your anger is justified.
This is one of my favorite posts of yours and I'm so glad it's the one on Creme de la Creme.
It's beautifully written and says everything I want to.
Hang in there.
I'm so sorry.
You have every right to feel angry. You are dealing with so much loss. Be gentle with yourself.
Oh Rebecca, I'm returning to your post to comment again. I'm trying to comment on every single Creme de la Creme post, and for those I've already commented on, well I'm revisiting them a second time.
I reread my last comment. Not too shabby. But I have to say, this time I had a different reaction to your post. This time I was agreeing with you. This time I wanted to shake my fists at something, maybe God? I don't have a relationship with God but when I read about people who have faith and suffer devastating losses, I just want to scream at Him. I want to say, how can you let this happen to someone? How could you let Lily be lost? Sometimes I'm shaking when I say it.
But I have no right to speak to Him, and you do. And I think your words are thoughtful and measured and fair. More measured and fair than mine would be.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have tears streaming down my face right now (I cry more from anger sometimes than sadness). I don't know how you've faced all of this with such strength and grace. Perhaps that is God? I don't know. But the fact that you come to read my blog, and listen to me speak of my daughter, and see her pictures and hear her laugh. And then you tell me how thoughtful my comments are, it just blows me away. You have taught me more about the good that people can be than anyone I've ever "known." And Lily and the child you're carrying right now, they are both so lucky to have you as a mother. Lucky beyond measure.
Thank you.
台灣裸聊免費視頻
台灣裸聊入口網站
台灣裸聊平台
免費在線裸聊視頻
性愛裸聊直播間
裸聊直播間視頻
免費同城聊天室
午夜視頻聊天室真人秀場
國外免費色情直播網站
色情視頻直播間
Post a Comment