Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reality bites...

We received our first fertilization report this morning & sadly it was far from what we had hoped. Of the 13 eggs that were retrieved yesterday 10 of them were mature. They proceeded with ICSI on all of these & unfortunately only 3 have successfully fertilized. Due to this low number they feel in all likelihood transfer will take place on Thursday. We’ll get another report tomorrow informing us of how many of them are still viable & also what their grade is. Since our options are limited & we now have such a small number of embryos to work with the IVF coordinator has already said they’re recommending placement of 2 embryos if we still have that many on Thursday. I’ve been so cautious in not being too optimistic during this whole process & was just starting to allow myself to really hope these past couple days, now I feel like I’ve been knocked back to reality…it sucks! In all likelihood we will now not have embryos left for freezing, which further drives home the point that this is our one shot at pregnancy & a biological child. We’re again feeling the realization that this whole process is so precarious & offers no guarantees. This has been a major disappointment to us & we’re feeling beyond sad that things aren’t working out as well as we had hoped. This is absolutely the most intense emotional rollercoaster of my life & I’m just praying for some positive news tomorrow & that we’re granted at least 2 healthy embryos.

As author Peggy Orenstein said, “Adversity is a random, arbitrary thing, though one can still glean meaning from it, use it’s crucible to become a better, more compassionate person.” I hope that through this process I’m able to do exactly that & find some meaning in this intense & unwanted path.

16 comments:

babyinterrupted said...

Oh, rats: I'm so sorry that the news was disappointing. I hope the 3 hang on well - even two good ones would be enough, but that's not much consolation at the moment. Thinking of you. And sending lots of good wishes to the three embryos!

Eileen said...

We only had 4 eggs fertilize with ICSI and only 3 made it to day 5. None to freeze. I am now pregnant with twins. Never lose hope!

Mom said...

HOPE is what you hang on to....be strong embryos and hang in there!

Anne said...

Oh Rebecca, I really hope things work out. God has a plan for all of us, and I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers. Hang in there!

Rachel said...

It is disappointing but you still have those 3, so focus on them and remain strong in your faith. God has a plan for you. Thinking of you and holding you as always in my prayers!

Jana said...

arrrgh. I hate infertility math. Hang in there. With one IVF cycle when I was losing hope I kept repeating, "I'm in it to win it" I wasn't going to give up until the fat lady sang--hoping I would be the fat pregnant lady singing. I had 16 embryos and nothing happened, so I think I would go with Eileen's odds this time. I'll be thinking of you. All I ask it that you Just wear some crazy socks for the stirrups.

Trinity said...

Gosh, the heartache is so darn unfair. I'm sorry, Rebecca. I am hoping big hopes for you and your three embryos. Keeping you in my thoughts...

Adele said...

I found your blog through LFCA and I will be thinking good thoughts for you in the next few days - that wait is an absolute killer:( I usually sigh when people tell me their, "I knew somebody who..." stories. Despite that disclaimer: my sister-in-law only had 2 eggs fertilize. And they just turned five. Everything crossed for you.

'Murgdan' said...

I'm sorry. It's so hard not to be disappointed after such a drop between retrieval and fertilization. Hang in there. I will be thinking happy, healthy dividing thoughts for your three.

Tiffany said...

i'm sorry you didn't get the news you wanted. but i'm still praying for you guys that you still get some good news re: the embryos in the next couple of days. ((hugs)) hang in there!

Geochick said...

I'm sorry you didn't get as many as you hoped. Hopefully you get some good news about the remaining three!

calliope said...

so sorry for the original fert report. hoping that all three are thriving!

Pie said...

((((HUGS)))) I know how disappointing these reports can be. I'm sorry it wasn't a higher fert rate. But I do still hope the 3 are strong and thriving!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that the first report was not as good as you had hoped. Keep beliving and hold on to that hope. I know a woman that only had 3 and only 2 were growing like they should. They put 2 back and she is now pregnant. There is still hope. I am praying for you and those 3. - Rebekah

Anonymous said...

I can happen and prayers that it does happen for you.

Jamie said...

Dear Rebecca and Nick,
Please know that Shaheen and I are holding you and the embroyos in our prayers. We love you. Jamie & Shaheen & Josie Mae

Post a Comment