Let me start by saying I had Nick proof this to ensure I wasn't too loopy in the writing of this entry, apparently it's okay since he gave me the go ahead.
I’m thrilled to report that things went splendidly this morning! As with everything during this process I’ve been prepping myself for the absolute worst & this was cake compared to what I was expecting. I was of course nervous as most people are prior to surgery, but everyone at the clinic was so wonderful, which helped to calm my nerves; that & I’m sure all of the prayers you all were sending up for me (thanks for that, someone obviously heard something)!
The surgery room wasn’t nearly as scary thanks to the fabulous medical team I had working with me…an all female team of brilliant scientific minds! And I must say thank you God for my RE she is so incredibly talented & obviously has great aim…I have not been in any pain since the procedure!!! I've not needed even so much as a Tylenol, maybe I’m a tougher cookie than I thought:) Also, loving my anesthesiologist who thankfully granted me an incredibly peaceful sleep throughout the procedure. Granted some of the marvelous drugs they gave me may still be sticking around a bit, but at the moment I feel great & definitely did not expect this.
As for my eggs, the doctor was able to retrieve 13!!! We will get a report tomorrow on how well they’re all doing & their quality. Hopefully we’ve got some beautiful strong little embryo’s growing in those petri dishes. Not quite the way you imagine making a baby, but hey it’s what science has granted us & we’re grateful it’s an option.
So tomorrow we also get to begin the dreaded progesterone injections!!! This is the first & only intramuscular injection; we use a 22g 1 ½ inch needle! The progesterone is a natural hormone that enables the uterus to support pregnancy, aiding in endometrial development, & helping the embryo to thrive. These are by far the worst of the injections & if things are successful I will be given them daily for the next several weeks!
On a completely random side note, if you’ve never watched the show Brothers & Sisters you’ve got to check it out! It has grown to be my absolute favorite show & has tackled some of the most difficult topics (IVF, adoption, surrogacy, gay rights) with such remarkable realism.















8 comments:
Yayyyyy. 13 eggs. That is fabulous! I'm crossing my fingers for all 13 to turn into perfect blasts!
A baker's dozen. That's great. We celebrated our fist egg retrieval by eating eggs. If I were you I would be eating some donuts :) Thanks for visiting my little spot in cyberspace today. I'll be thinking of you. Good luck. Do you have EMLA cream for your progesterone shots?
Awesome news.....13 wonderful eggs....praying for strong healthy embryos for you.
Wonderful news Rebecca! Praying for you as you start those shots. May you find the sweet spot where it hurts minimally. :)
I answered your question in my comments section where you wrote the question, but was afraid you might not think to look there so here is is again: Emla cream will numb the area for your IM (intramuscular shot) it has some lidocaine in it and stuff. You just put it on (use like some medical tape and plastic wrap so it is right next to your skin) 30 min before your shot and it will numb the area. It really works. Ask your doctor to prescribe you some. My 1st IVF my MD wanted me to do those shots and he just automatically prescribed it. Get some, you'll be glad you did
Glad your ER went so well! Looking forward to hearing about the fert. report - wishing that it goes as well as your ER did. Thanks for stopping by my blog, looking forward to following your journey.
Thanks for the well wishes & prayers ladies & JRS thank you SO much for the info on EMLA cream, I had never heard of this before! Will definitely ask my doc for a script today when I get my report.
yay! such great news! still praying...
Post a Comment