Thursday, March 25, 2010

Miraculous cures & dispelling myths

At times I find it humorous & at times infuriating that a majority of fertile people believe once you go through IVF treatment you’re going to magically get pregnant without assistance the next time. All you infertile ladies out there, I know you’ve heard this on more than one occasion. So this week on two separate occasions on the same day I had people that knew about our IVF treatment tell me…oh, now that you got pregnant with IVF I’m sure the next time you’re going to get pregnant on your own. UGH…there is so much ignorance in the general population regarding infertility! So then I politely explain that no, unless there is some divine intervention in play (and let’s face it, I’m not exactly the Virgin Mary), this will not occur. Ever. Why is it that so many people think IVF will miraculously “cure” us infertiles of what ails us? It seems that everyone “knows” of a friend of a friend that this magically occurred with. Well people the real story is likely a bit more intricate than it was relayed to you thus feeding this crazy myth. For every miraculous story you hear, there are hundreds of failures that you don’t. People don’t typically pass on their stories of disappointment. The majority of us who struggle with infertility do not experience this magical cure, so please think before you speak. I can tell you with certainty that this is a comment that most infertiles find extremely frustrating & disheartening.

Also a little humor to help in dispelling more infertility myths...the hilarious & witty Stirrup-Queens posted this video today...enjoy:)

My Aunt Jane Knows More Than My RE 

8 comments:

Jess said...

I so agree! I hate these comments. I am hearing them too. I so WISH that it worked that way, but for us it won't ever be "easy" or "natural".

Jana said...

i love that video!

why do fertiles think they know everything?!

Adele said...

I think sometimes people want things to be true for you so badly that they trick themselves into believing that they ARE, in fact, true. But to be the recipient of it is soooooo annoying.

The video is hilarious. I hadn't seen it before and chuckled all the way through.

myinfertilitywoes said...

Ugh. I hate those comments too. Grrr. In fact, when we went to counseling this week with someone who said she has experience w/infertility problems in couples - she said that we may need to relax!!!!!!!!! oh, goodness!!!

I'm sorry you experienced ignorance this week. And yes, I'm sure that the 'good' news gets out there so it's eas to think, oh this will just happen but there's also all those people out there to whom it DOESN'T happen to! At least we have each other! :) Have a good weekend!

Krissi said...

I remember when the reality hit that I would most likely need to do IVF all over again (when my daughter was only a few weeks old) especially because we didn't have any frozen embryos. Still, we naturally tried for 6 months (quite niavely) when we were ready and it didn't happen. It is disheartening...
So glad you're nearly out of the first trimester. Congrats! Thanks for the encouraging comment! Happy ICLW!!

Anonymous said...

I cracked up with that video - I watched it the other day and wished I could just whip it out for anyone who tells me to just relax or it'll happen when I least expect it.

ICLW #59

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment