Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Introducing...

Hey, this is husband Nick writing for an exhausted Rebecca.  Yesterday was a whirlwind.  The Magnesium that was lowering Rebecca’s blood pressure was also causing baby’s heart to slow (the Magnesium relaxes ALL muscles).  Slowly, over the course of about 30 hours, baby’s heart rate went from a baseline of 130, to 120, to 110, and the doctors started considering doing the c-section early.  When it hovered around 100 for about 20 minutes, the doctors decided to go ahead with the c-section while everyone was still healthy and not under duress.  Waiting until the next day would provide little benefit compared to getting baby out while he was still healthy.  We were briefed on the c-section, then whisked to the OR before we could even call our families.

And so, at 2:03pm on June 21, 2011, Ian James was born to this world at 31wks, 3days gestation.  He weighed 3lbs 7oz and was 16 ¼ inches long.  Ian cried right away and started breathing on his own.  He even peed on the nurses a couple times (atta boy!).  He scored a 6 on the APGARs at 1 minute, and a 9 at 5 minutes past delivery (0 is awful and 10 is perfect).  We got to see him just briefly and take a couple pictures before I accompanied him to the NICU while Rebecca got stitched up.

They put him on a CPAP to help keep the lungs open and prevent apnea, and stuck a bunch of monitors to his tiny little body.  His stats were strong and everything looked perfect.  But… as the neonatologist commented, everything was going just a little too perfect for a 31 weeker.  We had our first little hiccup this morning when Ian’s tiny little left lung got an air pocket around it.  The doctors did a chest x-ray and removed the air pocket with a tiny needle.  They also gave him some medicine to help his lungs soften and inflate better.  They went ahead and put in a breathing tube as well.  Doctors are hoping the remaining air around his lungs will be reabsorbed into his lungs.  He’s doing great and stats holding strong and steady, and his prognosis is excellent.

Here are a few pictures of our new arrival:




Rebecca is doing well but still completely exhausted from the Magnesium.  She's been limited in her visits to the NICU, so she’s looking forward to getting off of that medication this afternoon to dote on our little miracle all day long.  Please keep Ian and Mom in your thoughts and prayers.

78 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your arrival. Great name, I have my own Ean James and so am a bit partial. Your son is gorgeous.

Esperanza said...

Oh my gosh! I'm just sobbing right now with happiness for you both. He's so beautiful. So beautiful. I'm so happy he's doing so well! Oh, I just don't know what to say I'm so thrilled for you both. Thank you for taking the time to introduce him to us all! We really appreciate it!

Welcome to the world Ian James! We are so glad to have you here, happy and healthy!

Nicole said...

Congratulations, he is just precious! Thinking of you and sending prayers your way!

nurslouisa said...

Oh so beautiful!!! I'm so happy for you both and love the name Ian. A million congrats and many prayers that both mama and that lovely little boy are on the fast track to recovery.

alicia said...

Welcome to the world, Ian! How wonderful that he is here with you! What a life-changing week...I can imagine that these days in the hospital are long ones and so emotional. I'll be thinking of you and your sweet boy.

Kelly said...

Congratulations and welcome, Ian!

jeanna said...

Awe, he is perfect! Congrats! So excited for yall!! Lots of prayers that he remains healthy and a fast c-section recovery for mama!

Suzy, Not a Fertile Myrtle said...

Congratulations! He's beautiful. Hope you both are doing well and come home together soon!

~Suzy
ICLW #53

Angie said...

Congratulations to your little family! Some of God's miracles are small. ;-) I'll be keeping you all in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a beautiful baby boy! Praying for you all - thanks for the update.

Christy @
www.delightedandpeaceful.blogspot.com

manymanymoons said...

I could not be happier for you. You both deserve the best and it looks like you're getting it. What a cutie!!

Life Happens said...

Congrats!! Ian is perfect! Hope Rebecca continues to recover. God Bless!

Dana said...

Congratulations! Ian is beautiful. I'm so glad that he and Rebecca are doing well. I'm so happy for all of you!

Jody said...

Congratulations to you both! This post brought tears of joy to my eyes. Your miracle baby is positively beautiful! Welcome to the world, Ian James! Praying for continued strength for both Ian and Mommy. Thank you, Lord, for this beautiful little boy!

Lj82 said...

He is beautiful. Congratulations. I hope he continues to do so well. :)

babyinterrupted said...

Oh, what a lovely (and much-loved) little boy! Congratulations to both of you, and many prayers for your new family life together and Ian's continued strength.

Rachel said...

Congratulations on Ian's arrival! What a beautiful little boy. Will be sending love and prayers to him and mom.

Kelly said...

So tiny and beautiful!!! Congratulations. Praying for you guys!

carrie said...

Many congrats!!! He's beautiful! As a veteran of the NICU (triplet 28 weekers), I remember well the ups and downs. However, the 31+ weekers seemed to do very well, and I'm keeping Ian in my prayers that he will do just that. He is in the very best hands, and before you know it, the NICU routine will feel familiar, and you will be looking forward to visits spent cuddling, giving baths and bathing! Keeping you all in prayer as sweet Lily's birthday arrives, and prayers for baby Ian as well. Congrats, again!

Adele said...

Rebecca and Nick, he is beautiful. It sounds like a whirlwind arrival in the world, but it also sounds like you have been - and continue to be - in good hands.

Ian James, welcome to the world. I know it was a rocky entry but may things be beautiful and easy and wonderfully healthy from here on out. Hugs to all of you (very gentle ones).

Kakunaa said...

Welcome to the world Ian!! You are beautiful and blessed and strong!! Congrats Mom and Dad, and a speedy recovery to Mom!

Angela said...

Welcome to the world sweet Ian! I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers Rebecca.

Deanna said...

Congratulations, thoughts and prayers for Mom & Ian!!

Anonymous said...

He's just gorgeous! Congratulations to you both! I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Jessica said...

Hello little Ian! Sending lots of healthy and healing thoughts your way Mommy. I am so excited for you!!!

Julia said...

Ian is beautiful!! Congratulations. Send good thoughts and wishes for a short and uneventful NICU stay. What a gorgeous little guy. :)

- Mrs. D said...

Oh my goodness... he's here!! Congrats on baby Ian - I am so thrilled for you! You all are in my thoughts and prayers - you guys deserve only the best! Can't wait to hear updates once Mom and Ian have time to rest :) Congrats!!

Jana said...

Ian looks so great. I am so happy for you. Rebecca, I hope you start feeling better soon--Magnesium is no fun at all. I hope Ian continues to do well and that the nurses and doctors caring for him will be able to meet his medical needs and that they will involve you in his care as much as possible.

Marianne said...

He is beautiful. Give Rebecca our love!

Shandrea said...

Congratulations! Sending many many many big hugs and warm thoughts. and of course Lots of love to you and your bundle ;O)

Warrior Woman said...

Welcome Ian, and congrats mom and dad! My mother is a NICU nurse educator and says any babies over 28 weeks tend to do very well. He has a great weight and looks beautiful! I'll be thinking good thoughts for you all in the upcoming days and weeks.

Rosie said...

Wow, what a surprise! Congratulations and blessings on your beautiful baby. All my good wishes for health and healing and enjoyment of each other.

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of prayers and healthy baby vibes and wishing you luck and strength to get through the next few days and weeks in the NICU.

Andrea said...

Happy Birthday, sweet Ian! Congratulations to your family on the arrival of your precious little boy! Lots of prayers being sent your way that Ian continues to thrive and is able to be home with you soon! God is GREAT! :)

Angie said...

Welcome to the world Ian! He's beautiful! I hope you feel better soon and have a very short NICU stay!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! He looks absolutely perfect and beautiful! I will be praying for you in the coming days and weeks. I hope that everything goes smoothly and you all get to go home soon.

Clare said...

Oh wow oh wow - what a cutie little boy you have!! Big big congrats to you all and I am looking forward to hearing more updates about him growing stronger and stronger each day... well done Mom!!! xx

Corinne said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! I hope everything continues to go well and that Ian thrives over the next few weeks! I will definitely keep you all in my prayers!

Anonymous said...

He's SO GOREGEOUS!!! I hope Rebecca recovers quickly as I'm sure she wants to be with her little darling. SQUEEEEEEE!!!

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

What a little angle! Congrats!

Rachel said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Marie W said...

Welcome to the world Ian James! Sending love and congrats to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh...what a sweetie!!! I am so happy mom and baby (and dad) are doing well :) Thinking of you all and saying prayers for a quick return home.

Carli said...

Congratulations on becoming a family of 3! I am glad to hear that both mom and baby are doing well.

As someone who has just recently experienced it, I will say that being the parent of a NICU baby isn't the easiest thing. It is so hard to see the miracle you worked so hard for hooked up to all of the tubes and monitors. I pray that your little Ian James will receive wonderful care and that he will be ready to come home to you guys very soon.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations to both of you! Welcome to the world, Ian! You are truly a miracle.

Erin said...

CONGRATS!!! he is precious!! they will both be in my prayers!

Brooke said...

Congratulations! Here's hoping all goes well for Mom and baby and you're taking Ian home soon.

Augusta said...

My most heartfelt congratulations to your both, Rebecca and Nick. And WELCOME Ian!! What a handsome darling! I am keeping all three of you in my thoughts.

Molly said...

Absolutely precious. I had a 4 pounder by c-section myself, and she did great. Healing to both mother and baby, and many congrats!

Justine L said...

Welcome, Ian! I'm so relieved that he's doing well, and will keep you all in my prayers. Please give my love to Rebecca. And ... that's my son's first name, too (he's Ian Charles) ... it's a strong name, for a strong little boy. :)

Jess said...

Congrats! He is just beautiful!!! Praying for his continued healing to both of you.

Roccie said...

Congratulations. Welcome little man Ian. Constant prayers coming, as best as I can send them.

Jenny said...

congratulations. What a perfect little sweetheart!

inBetween said...

Congratulations!!! Sending you lots and lots of love and good luck.

Jocelyn said...

Congratulations! So happy for your family. What a blessing.

christina said...

Whoa!! Oh my gosh! Congratulations!!!! I am so happy things are going well, what a strong little man already. He is such a lucky little boy already and know that he is loved and prayed for from all over the interwebs. I am so excited for the joy you are probably soaking in. Many prayers for continued health. And a special prayer for big sister, Lillian. It seems he had a sweet angel watching over him. Looking forward to watching Ian grow!

AnotherDreamer said...

Congratulations! May he continue to thrive! I will definitely keep you all in my thoughts.

Lisette said...

Congratulations, sending you guys many prayers.

One Who Understands said...

Tiny and adorable!! Welcome to the world Ian! Congrats Mom and Dad!!

Heather said...

congrats! I am so happy for you!! I feel like I missed most of your pregnancy, as my newest EA addition has kept me so distracted, but in a most wonderful way! But you have been in my thoughts, and I will pray for your little miracle to make it home soon!

Glass Case of Emotion said...

Congratulations! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

Room for More said...

Congratulations you guys! Ian is amazing! Praying for mom and baby to regain strength and health!!

Mom in Limbo said...

Congratulations! Sending happy, healthy vibes your way. Keep peeing on 'em, Ian. Show them who's boss!

Christina said...

Congratulations! I hope your NICU stay is a quick and uneventful one!

Emby said...

Congratulations!! I'll be praying.

Whitney Anderson said...

Wow..congrats to you both and nice blog report, Dad!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! You are in my thoughts and prayers

Unwavering Hope said...

Congratulations on your little miracle! Will definitely keep the whole family in my prayers!

Rachel said...

Adorable!

Kristin said...

Little Ian is gorgeous and a really good size for being so early. I hope Rebecca recovers quickly and Little Ian grows strong quickly.

ICLW #10

Carrie said...

Ian is beautiful!!! Keep us updated on his progress!!!!! Thinking and praying for your family!

tireegal68 said...

Sorry to be late with my congratulations! I commented yesterday but then my phone ate it! So so happy for the three of you. I hope both Ian and Rebecca grow stronger each day and that baby's stay in the NICU is short. I'm thinking of big sister Lily watching over you all too as her anniversary comes up. Xxoo

Anonymous said...

Just checking in again to send some love. :-)

MrsH said...

OMG he is so beautiful and big! I mean for being early, he looks fabulous. Much good health to both Ian and Rebecca, and praying for all three of you to have a smooth transition to home, ASAP.

Deborah said...

Here from ICLW - Congratulations!! That's a beautiful name, and it sounds like Ian is doing really well. I hope Rebecca is able to spend more time with him soon!

Fertility godess said...

Sending my thoughts and prayers. Ian is simply adorable and looks like quite a fighter. He will be alright and I know Mom will be too. Just keep the faith.

Allison said...

I am so happy for you and Nick! Ian is absolutely precious! I will continue to send hopes and prayers your way! Soon you will be bringing your little boy home...what a beautiful day that will be! Love to you!

ellen said...

he is beautiful!!!!! congratulations on your rainbow!

Post a Comment