Sunday, January 23, 2011

Quilt of love...

Yesterday we received a gift made with so much love and kindness it touched our very souls. Those of you who have followed my blog for a while might remember the following entry I wrote just a few days after Lily’s death…
One of the most profound acts of kindness that has touched us so deeply has come from a high school classmate in her offer to make a quilt of love using some of the clothes I had purchased for Lily. There really are no words to properly describe how much this has meant to both Nick & I. I had purchased a couple of outfits for Lily the day before she died, and the thought of having to return them was more than I could handle. Then, just a couple of days after her death, I received the kindest message from Audra saying she would like to do this for us. Initially, when I received this message I just cried; the thought that someone who lived across the country and whom I had not had contact with since high school was reaching out to me in such a selfless way touched me to the core. Audra, your generosity and compassion have given us such hope in the midst of our grief...I feel there is nothing I can ever redo to properly repay you for what you have done for us.
That beautiful, handmade heirloom quilt arrived at our door yesterday afternoon. It was an emotional moment to say the least opening that box. Looking at the quilt with tears streaming down my face, the thought crossed my mind that seeing Lily’s clothes as a part of this quilt seems somewhat symbolic of our lives over these past few months. After she died we were so lost, so uncertain of the future and how we would cope with this immense grief. With time though, we have been putting the pieces of our lives back together, just in a different manner than before. Our lives will always be different now that she is gone, but the pieces that have made the most difference in helping us to grieve and move forward have been the people. The people like Audra, who have given with their hearts and souls, showing us the goodness that exists in this world, helping us to have hope that in a world filled with so much compassion and love we will survive.
As the quote Audra shared with us says, “The best kind of sleep beneath Heaven above, is under a quilt, handmade with love”


Dear blog followers, if any of you would like a beautiful quilt yourself or would like to purchase one for a friend, check out Audra’s Etsy page…she is also available to make custom quilts!

39 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my! It's beautiful and I know you will cherish it and think of your sweet Lily everytime that you see it!

xoxo

Nicole said...

That quilt is beautiful! What a precious gift!!! :) I can't imagine how that felt to hold that quilt and see the piece's of Lily's clothes stitched so lovingly to it. What a treasure! <3

Ava's mummy said...

How very beautiful and special. It is such a precious thing to have and clearly made with such love for your darling Lily.

Tiffany said...

Gorgeous!

LetterstoClaire said...

Wow, that quilt is so beautiful!! My husband's grandmother was in the process of making Claire a baby quilt before she passed, she decided to continue it and we now have it with us in our bedroom. All of her clothes still hang in her closet, or are put away in her dresser drawers and it pains me to think about what to do with them. But this is a lovely idea of a way to make them into a memorial quilt, love it!

My New Normal said...

Beautiful! What a precious gift.

Michelle said...

I am sobbing reading this! What a beautiful, priceless gift! That's an amazing story!! WOW!!

Anonymous said...

That is really cool. What an awesome friend :)

Jessica said...

How beautiful!!! Your friend did an amazing job...what a fabulous way to remember and honor Lily.

Anonymous said...

That is the most beautiful quilt I have seen...I love you have something to hold onto and remember your sweet little Lily with.

inBetween said...

That is so beautiful... and once again your blog has made me cry.

Allison said...

Oh my goodness...that is just amazing. What a beautiful and loving gift. <3 <3 <3

manymanymoons said...

Amazing! What a wonderful and loving gift.

Hope said...

That is so, so beautiful. What a touching, kind thing for your friend do to for you.

(Here for ICLW)

Emby said...

How beautiful! That is such a precious gift. I am happy that things are going so well this far in your pregnancy.

Carrie said...

That is the most beautiful and special quilt...tears!!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Roccie said...

I am speechless. That is magnificent. I cannot think of a thing to say. I am stunned by the beauty.

Julia said...

That is the most gorgeous quilt and gesture. What a beautiful quilt for a beautiful little angel. I'm sure that it will have a special place in your home and in your heart.

Trinity said...

Wow, wow, wow. I'm teary. It's breath-taking, Rebecca. What an exquisite treasure--and what a freakin' incredible gesture from Audra. I love love love it. ;)

Anonymous said...

How gorgeous!! something to be kept forever.

And HELLO! I've been ill for most of the last 2 weeks and left even my personal laptop at work, so have been mostly offline except for the occasional post I did on my phone (which is a pain in the arse, especially when you have a headache)! I feel so out of it, but it’s lovely visiting blogs today – like seeing friends I haven’t seen in ages!!

Justine L said...

so, so beautiful, Rebecca! You're so right about the connection between quilting and reassembling life after loss ... that Lillian will always be with you, will be part of the fabric of your lives, quilted together with the community of people who love you and who have and will continue to support you in this journey.

Jana said...

What a beautiful quilt and what a wonderful friend. I imagine you will sleep with peace and love in your heart tonight as you hold this special quilt and think of your precious daughter.

Angelwingsbaby said...

Just beautiful!!

Shandrea said...

Beautiful!

S said...

That is absolutely beautiful!

Jill said...

Oh WOW! What a beautiful gift!!

klbot99 said...

Such a beautiful gift!

myinfertilitywoes said...

Wow - just beautiful! What an amazingly thoughtful friend!

Lisette said...

That quilt is so beautiful, what a blessing your friend is.

Rhiannon said...

Oh Wow! What a beautiful and thoughtful gift! I know that you will treasure it always. What a lovely way to pass down Lily's legacy to future generations. Sending you love, hugs and support as Lily's 7 month angel-versary approaches.

Frozen Egg Bank Mom said...

What a tremendous gesture and beautiful quilt!

Adele said...

Ach, I got so choked up reading this post, Rebecca. I can't think of any better way to use those clothes, nor of any more thoughtful gift. Beautiful.

Jody said...

What an amazing gift!

MrsH said...

wow, that is such a beautiful work, and such a lovely kind idea. I never would have thought to create something like that (besides, I don't think I could ever sew like that), will check out her site

Peapod said...

What a beautiful quilt, and what a touching gesture from an old friend. She is truly a friend to be cherished.

Libby said...

What a lovely thing she did for you. It's beautiful!

Augusta said...

The quilt is absolutely beautiful, Rebecca. What an incredible gift from your friend Audra. I love the picture of the quilt with you behind it. I keep looking at it thinking: Rebecca's pregnant under that quilt. The beautiful, painful, complex layers of life: a quilt for your beloved angel daughter, and your little one growing in your belly underneath.

Dora said...

The quilt is beautiful. What a wonderful, loving gift from your friend.

Aramelle said...

What a wonderful, loving gift for your friend to have made. It will certainly be cherished. It is absolutely beautiful.

(Here from ICLW)

Post a Comment