Sunday, November 21, 2010

LFCA, Faces writing challenge, and posts to check out….

To those of you stopping by for ICLW, welcome! And those of you who are wondering “what the heck is ICLW,” here is a quick run down. ICLW stands for International Comment Leaving Week, but if you say it aloud, doesn’t it sounds like “I come; [but] leave [as a] we”? And that’s sort of the point. Blogging is a conversation, and comments should be honored and encouraged. So by all means join the conversation!

Currently in our IF treatment world: Our first donor embryo FET is just around the corner. I have my next ultrasound and blood work appointment Wednesday to determine if we’re still on track for a December 2nd transfer. Continuing with the nightly Lupron injections and as of today I’m up to taking Estrace pills 3x’s a day. By the end of the week, we’ll know any updates to our medication protocol, when the Progesterone injections will begin, and hopefully be able to purchase our plane tickets for the transfer date.

I’ve had the intention of doing the monthly Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope writing challenge for a while now, the topic for November is “It’s easy to focus on all the negative things that come from losing a baby, but have you discovered any ‘blessings in disguise’ throughout your journey? What can you find to be thankful for related to your loss?” I must preface this by saying, as I’m sure most BLM’s would, that I would take back all of these little things in a minute to have my daughter here with me and to never have known of this expansive world of loss that exists.  To be perfectly honest, as Thanksgiving approaches and everyone begins to talk about what they are thankful for, my first thought goes to how thankful I am that this year is almost over. I cannot imagine living through another year as awful as this past one has been.  Initially, I would say I’m thankful for the perspective I now have about what is really important in life, and although it’s a bit jaded, it’s also a bit clearer. The people that have carried us are another thing I’m thankful for, our families and friends, the connections I’ve made since this loss through those in blogland and in real life, our donor family, which have shown us such incredible support and kindness. All of those people are what continue to give me hope for this world, hope that the goodness will overpower the darkness. Hope to continue moving forward, and that although I’ve come to accept I’ll always feel a bit broken and damaged, that good things await me in the future. Lastly, I’m thankful I’m able to continue seeing glimpses of hope in it all; it is the thing that continues to propel us all forward.

I also wanted to share a couple of blog posts that really hit home with me this week. The first was a post in which Roccie discussed the advice given to her by her acupuncturist about that not taking credit for failures. It spoke volumes to me as well; I think we all need to be reminded from time to time that both our successes and failures are not completely ours to own.

Secondly, Demeter’s Feet had a wonderful post about transformative events in life and how it is hard for others to see that losing our children has forever changed us, as well as the expectations others have for grief in this country.

Third, you must check out Keikos post about The Infertility Manifesto....it will leave you moved to tears, inspired, and reminded that you are not alone. 

23 comments:

Tiffany said...

i'm thankful for you. <3 you

Alissa said...

Wow...this post is just loaded!! Thank you for sharing all of your thoughts and insights. I appreciate and am thankful for you!!

myinfertilitywoes said...

It's always great to hear from you and to hear where you are with all your thoughts & emotions. Thanks for sharing so much in this one, especially the links to others. I really enjoyed and was moved by them.

I, too, am thankful that this year is almost over! We've decided not to do the 'what are we thankful for' at Thanksgiving this year. Even though I feel like I'm coming out of my sad/bitter/hard time, it's still too fresh and I know for now that question will only spawn pain at what is missing. I know I'll get there someday but I also know that I won't forget this time in my life either, of what could have been by now...

Looking forward to hearing how your appointments go and will be rooting for your Dec transfer!

Justine L said...

My son, this morning, said he was "thankful for love and peace." I thought that was pretty remarkable, coming from a four year old. And as much as things have been completely craptastic sometimes, he's right ... I, too, am thankful for the connections I share with others ... in some cases, loss has brought us together, but that loss has not been the glue that holds the relationship in place.

Holding on to hope for you, too, that everything goes well on December 2.

Cape Girl said...

I think the more time that passes, the clearer I can see and the more thankful I am for other things in my life.

Your posts are always filled with such grace. I know this has been a terrible year for you, but I'm glad you're seeing glimpses of hope. I think good things are coming.

manymanymoons said...

This time of year must be so tough for you. I am so happy for you that you are moving forward, but I am sure you just want to scream out to everyone on the street about the sucky (understatement of the century) year you've had. I think it is too hard for some people to keep in the forefront of their mind what you've been through. I'm sure it's not that they don't care, it's just that they don't know how to sustain that kind of sadness for any extended period of time. I can't speak for the real world, but anyone who has interacted with you in the blog world will always remember what you've been through. Even as you move on to lots and lots of positive things in the future.

Good luck at your appointment this week!

Anonymous said...

That was a lovely post. Happy ICLW. I'm so sorry for your loss. Best of luck in your journey.

Roccie said...

Your timing comes to me when I needed it badly.

That post. Man, if I could just hold onto that feeling. I left work today sobbing. It was a very ugly scene. At the time, I didnt care who saw it. I got into a fight with someone from the bank over paperwork. I lost it. I feel like a bit of a fraud when I think about writing that post. Where did that woman go???

I guess I just need to remember the ups and downs. As we move closer to our next transfer, it frightens me. Makes me think too much of the pregnancy loss I don't talk about. It will force me to confront some issues.

Thank you for being by my side through this. I needed your encouragement, thank you.

I am glad to see you close this year as well. You are stronger and different. You just cannot compare the woman you are now with who you once were. It is so very heavy.

Your transfer will be here before you know it. It sounds as though your plans are rolling along exactly as directed. Take a lot of comfort in this. As you have seen around, there is no guarantee in even the simplest of preparation for an FET. Make sure to count all the little milestones you achieve.

Sending my best to you.

Augusta said...

Hello Lovely Rebecca,
It's been much too long since I've visited you here. Thank you so much for your visits and your incredibly warm and affirming comments. You have a HUGE heart, woman! And it is with this immense heart that you are opening yourself up to new experiences, despite the gut wrenching pain brought to you in 2010. I am thankful for you that this year is almost over, and that you may be looking straight into the eye of 2011 with a little growing embryo inside of you. I can't tell you how glad I am to read that all is going well for the FET.

That post by Roccie also moved me very much. I ache at the thought that you or Roccie, or any other woman would take any blame (or credit) for the devastating losses you have faced. Nature is fickle. There is no telling which way the wind will blow.

My thoughts are with you, dear woman, as you prepare for the next steps. I smile as I think of you receiving this precious gift.

Anonymous said...

Lovey, lovely. :)

Adele said...

It is time for you to have a brilliant year, one that brings you a healthy baby and much happiness. I'm so hopeful for this next step for you, for the fact that in a few months everything may be changed, wonderfully and for the better. Fingers crossed for Wednesday's ultrasound. May EVERYTHING be on track.

Jana said...

You are such a wonderful caring friend. I am thankful for you. And I am also thankful you have made it through this year. And you have done it in a way that has inspired and moved me. You have helped me and countless others learn of your beautiful daughter and you, her amazing mother.

A. said...

Hi Rebecca, thanks for stopping by my blog. I very much look forward to following this one. I hope this next year will be kind to you and will finally be shock-full of all the big things to be thankful for that you have dreamed of for such a long time. I hope your upcoming FET cycle will mark the beginning.

Jacksmom said...

What a well written post. I am sure this week and the holiday season in general is very hard for you given the loss of Lillian. I pray that perhaps the holidays will be a little happier and that your donor embryo cycle is a success! Happy ICLW

Jody said...

I am getting so excited for your transfer, and I'm praying everything goes smoothly. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Michelle said...

Happy ICLW!!!

I hope your upcoming FET transfer sticks.

Sticky Glue and Baby Dust!!!

Michelle
http://samide2001.blogspot.com/

Deborah said...

Happy ICLW! I liked this post, and your honesty. You do not have to be grateful for having gone through what you did this past year. And you certainly can be grateful for the growth and perspective while still wishing none of it had happened. Good luck with the FET.

Deborah
unglamorous-mommy.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Happy ICLW! I will be thrilled to see this year over too. Losing both my children in 6 months and my job to boot was not fun. Still is not fun. 2010 will be a year of bad memories. Much love to you and good luck in everything! <3

Ashley said...

Lovely post. Happy ICLW! I look forward to reading more.

RaisingCain said...

thinking of you and the coming [better] new year!

Rhiannon said...

Hey there...thinking of you today and hoping that you get good news and that your FET is a "go"! Much love, my friend....(((hugs)))

wifey said...

I hope everything goes fantastically for you in the coming weeks. I know how difficult it can be to find something to be grateful for in the midst of loss, but it's helped me just a bit; I think it makes me feel a little more normal.

My Hopeful Journey said...

This is a great post! It reminds me that all life's experiences are what has made me the person I am today. I am going to have to check out the writing challenge.. thanks for the info. ICLW #31

Post a Comment