Monday, December 9, 2013

13 weeks and counting...

I had my routine OB appointment this afternoon, and the results of the NT scan from last week came back very good so that was a relief to hear. I’m 13wks as of this past Saturday!! Got to hear the baby’s heartbeat which is always so reassuring, and it was hanging out in the 150bpm range. My OB is going to have me see the perinatologist group here in about 3-4wks, then I’ll go back and forth between that group & her every two weeks for ultrasound cervical checks and routine follow up until I reach 24wks. 

I’ll be starting on the weekly P17 progesterone injections when we reach 16wks, which isn’t too far off! The bad news about that is that I found out our insurance, like most companies these days, no longer covers these injections. You’d think they’d like me to do everything possible to prevent another preterm labor, but apparently this is just one more thing we’ll be paying out of pocket for. I’ll be talking with our insurance company further to see if they’ll reimburse us the cost of them since the clinic suggested I inquire about this, but I’m not very hopeful. I recall during Ian’s pregnancy when a majority of insurance companies stopped covering these injections and how at the time we weren't impacted. Looks like no such luck this time.
 
Overall I’m feeling good and excited to be entering the second trimester, and trying to stay hopeful & positive that everything will continue smoothly.


8 comments:

RELH said...

Positive thoughts about the medication :)

Danae said...

Our insurance didn't cover them this time around. Or maybe I should say that they didn't cover the non-name brand version of it that is the outrageous price. So, instead of paying $55/vial like last time, it was $110 per vial this time.

Unknown said...

Glad everything is going well! What is p17?! Like PRogesteron in oil or another drug?

Hillary said...

With my last pregnancy my specialist office was nice enough to "share" their Progesterone with me. When I went in every other week they gave me my dose so that my home stash went twice as far! Maybe ask and see if they would be willing to do the same for you! Lots of love!

Laura said...

I appealed the no pay decision, with the help of my OB who sent a letter documenting why I need the shots, and BCBS ended up paying for my P17 shots, aside from a "copay" of five bucks per shot. I think they made me pay that just to prove some kind of point. Anyway, appeal and she what happens!

Augusta said...

I'm glad that everything is going well. I'm really glad to read that you will be followed so closely from 17 weeks on. I'm really hoping for a 40-week pregnancy this time.
It sucks big time that the injections are not covered, and what a good argument you've got with your insurance provider for them to cover it. I hope they listen to you

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that everything is going well with the pregnancy!
Sorry about the insurance news though. They really should cover these shots, with your history there even is scientific evidence that these shots help. Appeal away! (I haven't asked my insurance yet as, well, I first need to get pregnant, but somehow I was hoping this would be covered.)

MrsH said...

So happy to hear all is well! My RE has me on sweet blue nothing for the whole pregnancy, and only one ultrasound a month. Not even steroids at viability. Nada. I am so nervous I could die, but I am going along with it. Here in Canada we can't even get the injectable progesterone, as far as I know it has to be ordered from the US and it is a hassle, so we usually use prometrium or endometrin (natural progesterone) vaginally 100 mg two or three tabs a day. Ask about that, it is a lot cheaper, and theoretically well enough absorbed to count as progesterone supplementation. There are now even studies about this regimen for PTL prevention. Just an idea, much cheaper, and the whole country over here uses that over injectable as far as I know

Post a Comment