The introduction of solids has gone pretty well so far. Ian absolutely LOVES his morning oatmeal, and for the past couple of months we’ve been adding in veggies. Thanks to several of you who recommended this incredible wholesome baby food website that has guided us as we’ve began introducing some homemade baby food. They offer simple directions for each type of veggie or fruit you’d like to make for baby and even some recipes as baby’s diet advances. Also, I LOVE the food charts that are available for download based on baby’s age so you can keep track of when different fruits and veggies are introduced and whether baby liked or disliked them. It’s not only a wonderful way to track the introduction of new foods but also a great keepsake for Ian’s baby book. I’ve made his orange veggies (sweet potato, squash, carrots) and he also tried avocado, but I did use store bought green beans and peas. So far he loves his orange veggies, especially sweet potatoes, and not such a fan of the greens but we’ll keep working on that. We’re starting to also incorporate some fruits. He seemed to enjoy banana and we’re going to try apples later this week. One thing I also like about the wholesome baby food site is they give you other ideas of fruits/veggies to introduce that aren’t necessarily available as store bought baby food. We really want Ian to have a healthy, well rounded diet and are hopeful if we introduce lots of good veggies and fruits early this will give him a foundation for good nutrition throughout his life. What were some of your baby’s favorite first foods? For those of you who cooked homemade baby food what are some that you’d definitely recommend including in the mix?
I recently read this article about baby sign language & downloaded their free charts. We’re starting out by just introducing three signs, eat, sleep, & I love you, so we’ll see maybe in a couple of months whether little man will be able to communicate a bit more with us.
Teething officially began in our house and little man is now sporting two teeth! We’ve also been enjoying some fabulous spring weather here as of late and have taken to daily walks which he absolutely loves. Though he simply must have his sunglasses on or he gets upset if the sun is shining in his eyes; true story!
Esperanza at Stumbling Gracefully has come up with an awesome idea for those of us who love to read; she’s forming a parenting book club! If you’re interested in participating check out this link & join the fun. The first book we’ll be reading is Bringing up Bebe.
________________________________________________________________________________
It seems there are pregnancy announcements for second and third babies everywhere I turn these days. I can truly say for most of these people it leaves me feeling happy for them and doesn’t sting as it did before Ian was a part of my life, but it has brought up many thoughts as of late. Thoughts such as will I ever get to experience pregnancy again, will Ian get to be a big brother someday? Although if I’m being perfectly honest here the thought of being pregnant again brings with it a crazy amount of conflicting emotions and makes me feel a bit sick to my stomach. Still though, I have to wonder whether these peaceful, loving memories while breastfeeding my son be the last time I experience this incredible bonding moment with a child? I know I’ve heard other mothers who’ve struggled through the trenches of infertility talk about their decision to breastfeed longer then they had previously expected partly due to this uncertainty. Originally my goal had been to nurse until six months, but now with Ian approaching nine months in about a week I’m reevaluating that goal and I suppose we’ll see, we may just make it to a year after all. The health benefits to him are the primary reason but it’s also such an easy thing now, not like the challenging beginning stages of nursing. Not to mention the cost savings! What were your goals for breastfeeding initially and have they changed?
I try to remind myself I need to focus on living in the moment, cherishing the memories I am making with this incredible child I am so blessed to call my son. It’s another balancing act, not letting my mind wander too far into fears of the unknown future that await us when we attempt to build our family further while loving the life we are currently lucky enough to live. Not to mention I think about all of my IF friends still struggling to become parents and I think I need to stop worrying about the future and just bask in the thankfulness for this one incredible little child I have and focus on that. Perspective, I suppose, is as always key.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















12 comments:
What a gorgeous, happy looking little man! Is he as obsessed with his schnauzer as Eskil is? He LOVES her! Eskil's favourite it butternut pumpking, with green beans a close second. So far I've only fed him things we grow or organic rice cereal. We've not been doing great with solids I fear - if I'm having a busy day it just seems to be the thing that gets forgotten. I know that sounds crazy, and I always have food in the freezer I've made so it's not hard. But I really still have to have him in the right mood for it or he just acts like it is torture. Unless it's butternut pumpkin; he'll always eat that! Only one more in the garden though. Sigh.
Oh and I'm trying to get to July when Eskil will be 11 months and I return to work as my breastfeeding (well, pumping) goal. Then I have to think about going back to our clinic for our one and only remaining embryo. Which will be hard. But I almost feel like I've been in the 2WW ever since the embryo was frozen, just wondering what its fate will be.
i definitely understand the reminder to yourself to live in the moment. i find my mind wandering at times trying to plan ahead and wondering what our family will look like in say 1 yrs time. and i have to mentally slap myself back into reality and focus on what is in front of me now. we found a baby sign book at a thrift store, and have been trying to incorporate some basic sign when we talk to her. of course she mostly just looks at us like we are crazy but still. thx for the links to the baby food site. can't wait to get to that stage.
It is wonderful when the breastfeeding gets to that easy stage. I was able to BF till 9 months when my husband and I decided that we wanted to talk about trying for baby #2 and with my past (infertility and loss of our twins we knew it could be a long road). My original plan was to BF for a year, but I hadn't gotten a period so I began to wean Owen at 9m and was done by 10. I got my cycle back and I am currently on our 3rd round of clomid (don't say on my blog tho I am not "out" there). All that to say, those feelings you posted I felt them too. I hope you (and me both) get to experience the joy of a second child.
I can't believe how bigs he's gotten!!! wow time flies.
he is so handsome. i made baby food for my little man and found it to be easy and fun. he is also a great eater, maybe because of that? who knows... we also did baby signing, the only signs he really does are dog, more, and please, but it's fun when he does them. definitely enjoy the time with Ian. everyday is so precious
What an adorable little guy! Thank you for the links - I saved them under my "hopefully someday" folder.
I apologize for taking such a long time to comment. It's really lovely to read your update. Being a very BIG fan of vegetables, I'm thrilled to read that Ian is getting introduced to them in all their fabulousness. Sweet potatoes are exquisite indeed, and I bet you he'll come around to green veggies too,
The pictures are wonderful. Ian is completely adorable.
In terms of thinking of the future/living in the present, I agree that it's quite a balancing act. With all these reminders of families preparing for baby #2 and #3. In thinking of the fact that Ian is your second child, I can see that you need to give it some time before you decide whether you want to have a third. And I wonder if for you, thinking about pregnancy could be a mixed bag of joy and deep grief. You will come to the decision about having another child or not whe you get there. For now, it sounds like you are really soaking up the wonders of being a mom.
sending you warm hugs, my friend.
When you start the idea of finger foods, I have been making oatmeal fingers. Soak equal volumne of organic rolled oats and water until soft. Then microwave in a small bowl. Let it cool, then you can lift the oat out of the bottom and cut it into fingers with scissors! I nibble one and let Eskil grab one; he has started to get the idea, but swallowing something that solid without gagging still alludes him. Baby steps. . .
Oh what a sweet little man! It did me heart good to see those photos, Rebecca. He's so happy looking. And I do know what you mean about the combined wistfulness/fear at the idea of another pregnancy.
I also have to thank you very, very much for posting a link to that Wholesome Baby Food website. I've been using it heavily as we begin the Solid Food Adventures. So far, so good:)
I love the photos of your adorable son... he's so cute and looks so happy :) Sorry that I'm so far behind on commenting... wonderful to hear all your news. I'm public again, so will be easier to find/follow now. Thinking of you xo
Rebecca - I was unable to respond to your comment through email but wanted to know how much I appreciate the time you took to comment and share your story. I appreciated your encouragement and hope that although things don't go close to as planned that God does have a plan. And I see that in your adorable baby boy. I can't wait to read more of your story and be encouraged from it that God is in control. Thanks again. Looking forward to getting to know you more.
Post a Comment