Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Triggers & news...

This past weekend was great; my sister, brother in law, & niece visited. It’s always hard after guests leave to get back into the work routine and a bit of a let down. I’ve experienced an intense amount of triggers this week. At work, as usual, there are pregnant people everywhere. I’ve gotten good at casually walking away from situations if talk amongst co workers turn into difficult topics, but it’s still hard. Due to the size of the hospital I work in not everyone knows what happened, so it’s not at all that people are trying to be insensitive, they just don’t know what happened and are so clueless to how painful overhearing these conversations can be. I’m getting good at emotionally detaching, don’t know if that’s best, but it’s the only way I can survive the situation without busting into an emotional mess.

Then there’s f**king fb; sometimes its more of a curse than blessing. While I love that you can keep up with friends from afar, I know you other BLM’s know what awful triggers lurk there. First there are all the happy pregnancy updates & ultrasounds posted by some who were not far behind me in their pregnancies. Each one is a painful reminder of what is missing in my life & where my life should be at the moment. Then this week was the hardest hit so far, I saw pictures that an old college friend (who did not know what had happened to us) had her first daughter and of course what did she name her baby?…Lillian. Then tonight they sent a mass text to everyone in their contacts about their daughter’s birth…that one hurt like hell. Just as I was starting to have a good afternoon another emotional blow. I did decide to text back letting them know that while I’m happy for them and I realize they probably have no idea that our daughter died only 5 short weeks ago and happened to be named Lillian as well, I would appreciate not receiving any further text updates about their baby. Cold maybe, but frankly I don’t care right now…self preservation is more of a priority to me at the moment. As expected they had absolutely no idea.

So as to not leave things as a complete Debby Downer, although I know you would all understand, we have some very exciting news. After a lot of researching our options in the journey to become parents we are beginning the process to pursue adoption. I have some amazing resources through my job, two fellow social workers who have both adopted their children (one through foster to adopt & one through private adoption) who have helped answer our questions and guide us in starting this process. So our first meeting with the adoption agency social worker to begin the home study process is next Wednesday! I’m reading up as much as possible on adoption at the moment and trying to be sure we’re informed as we begin this journey. We are fully aware it can be a long process so we feel good about beginning and excited about what the future may hold for us. There are of course fears associated with this process as well, but as with all things in the process to become parents, when faced with infertility there are no guarantees with any of our options. We’re prayed a lot that God would lead us in the right direction and recently we’ve both felt led towards adoption. We are trying not to let our fears get the best of us, to be realistic, but also to maintain our faith that God has a plan for us and that some day we will be parents again.

16 comments:

RaisingCain said...

Hey lady! I know what you mean about fb. And I know exactly which posts you mean. dig, dig, dig. But it's exciting that you've made the decision to start the adoption process! So neat! There's a little person out there (or will be out there) that would be so, SO lucky to have you guys as parents.

Shandrea said...

Sending you hugs. I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Justine L said...

I've been thinking about you. I'm sorry that this week has been so difficult, and that there have been so many triggers everywhere. I think that your self-preservation instinct was the right one with your friend ... and I hope that they responded kindly to you, with love.

I hope that the meeting goes well next Wednesday; I feel sure that you will be parents again some day.

Ashley Keunen said...

Still praying for you guys! Love you.

Alissa said...

Oh, my goodness...I was totally gonna put up a post about FB. It's like major trigger all the time. Yet, how do I avoid it? If you have any ideas, let me know. Hoping you have better days...

Amber said...

I'm so happy for you! As someone intimately involved with adoption, I'm here for you if you ever have questions or concerns, or need to vent. :) I hope your adoption journey is smooooooth sailin'!

As for the triggers - ugh, I totally understand. Some days I just avoid FB altogether for that reason. I don't think the text you sent to your friend was cold. Hopefully it made her realize how lucky she is.

Jennifer said...

Those triggers can pop up everywhere. As bereaved moms, we're the only ones who can experience how painful they are. It's tough when "normal" people don't understand why we're so upset about them. *sigh* As for FB, I know what you mean. I've temporarily deactivated my account for the sake of self-preservation.

But I'm glad not everything is a downer for you. And that options are opening up to you like the adoption process.

I hope the coming days are better.

myinfertilitywoes said...

I'm so sorry you've had those experiences on fb and other places. grrr. and (((hugs)))

I can tell the excitement and joy in your writing about the decision to move to adoption. I can't wait to hear more and glad you feel good about this next step. :)

Heather said...

I'm sorry for your bad days. I had a miscarriage last fall and have found so many things that trigger my grief--especially around the time I would have been due. It just sucks.

I'm so happy to hear you are moving towards adoption. DH and I are in the process of adopting from Korea. I wish you a smooth adoption journey.

P.S. I HATE HATE HATE FB. It's like getting a my-life-is-so-wonderful Christmas letter 365 days a year.

Jana said...

So sorry to hear about the difficult reminders and triggers that keep coming up. I'm sure it is so difficult. I like what Heather said about FB, that hits the nail on the head.

That is exciting about the adoption news. I'm sure there is another wonderful little baby who will join your family.

((hugs))

if you ever need to vent or want to talk adoption stuff, I'm here for you.

Adele said...

Rebecca, I think it's brilliant that the way is opening up before you. I am thinking all kinds of good thoughts for your meeting next Wednesday. I'm also VERY glad that you sent that message. I don't think it's cold at all. Not remotely. Your need to look out for yourself is greater than her need to share. Period. And seeing another baby named Lillian would have gutted me, too.

I'm sorry about those triggers. It is so very hard and people - either because they don't know, or don't think about it - can be like bulls in a china shop. It's up to us not to let them, or to remove ourselves from those situations where this happens. But it's still bruising:(

Trinity said...

I can easily imagine those hospital co-worker situations, and I just cringe thinking of them. I think it's courageous to gently exit those kind of situations, and I think you're right on track with making self-preservation your priority. Good for you for sending that text, my dear.

I am genuinely hopeful about your appointment next Wednesday and I'm curious to hear an update. I was talking to my Nick about how you and yours were entertaining the adoption route, and I'm so interested in hearing how you guys navigate this process. Please keep us posted.

You are never far from my thoughts, Rebecca.
XXX

Whitney Anderson said...

I certainly understand about triggers. I just wrote a post about that earlier. Glad to know I'm not crazy.

I'm happy that you guys are moving forward and excited about adoption. That will be a whole different journey I imagine.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on going forward! I am deeply sorry for your loss!

I hope to hear an update soon!

God bless!

S said...

I'm thinking of you often and hope things get easier for you. Don't feel even the least bit bad about asking people not to shove their babies in your face. It's ok to step back. And neccessary. I also asked someone not to send me their birth announcement when they asked for my address after their son was born. She hadn't thought it through,even though she knew of our loss. But she felt bad and appologized. We are just left to deal with other people's lack of thought. Good luck with the adoption process. That is very exciting!

Papa Jhon and Mama Jet said...

FB can indeed be a scary place to be for BLM like us. The emotional roller coaster that you tend to feel just by browsing through friends updates is heart-wrenching. Like what I've taught myself to do for a while now, I seldom check FB mostly for self-preservation.

On a brighter note, it is very exciting to know that you and your husband are considering adoption. May God continue to guide you through this very uplifting moment in your lives.

Jet

Post a Comment