Thursday, April 4, 2013

Discussing next steps...


The last few days have been a bit of a whirlwind, but thankfully things seem to be settling now and we’re able to focus on our next steps. My hCG level had increased slightly on Monday to 192 which had me a bit worried, but then my cycle started that evening and the hCG level yesterday was down to 45.

We had a phone consult with our RE in the northeast earlier today which left both of us feeling optimistic and hopeful. She’s going to have me return to my clinic here for another hCG check next week, and I’ll continue these until the number is down to five or less signaling that everything is clear. Hopefully this will happen in the next 2 weeks.

The RE said that essentially this was a chemical pregnancy in which the embryo implanted but then stopped dividing and growing. It’s such an early miscarriage that in cases like this she said it typically signifies there was a problem with the embryo and nothing that we could have done differently. She mentioned that this is common even in the healthiest looking embryos. The human body is actually fairly inefficient in this manner and chromosomal/DNA abnormalities account for a large percentage of chemical pregnancies. She also said since it was such an early loss I won’t have to repeat a saline sono before our next transfer.

We discussed our current frozen embryos which consist of 4 blastocysts, 2 of which are day 5 and 2 which are day 6 embryos. She said they are all good quality and would initially use the day 5 embryos before transferring the day 6 embryos because the day 5's have a very slightly higher probability of success. She told us she feels very optimistic about future transfers since each time they've done a transfer the embryo has implanted and my uterine lining has been in optimal condition. She continues to feel a single embryo transfer is best for us considering my history. We definitely agree with this recommendation and feel most comfortable continuing with single embryo transfers in the future.

As for when we’ll do our next transfer, she said we’ll wait until my hCG level is back to zero, and then if I haven’t had another cycle start within 4wks of that they’ll get things moving and I can start back on birth control pills. Then we’ll map out when we’d like to move forward with the next transfer.

For now we’re focusing on all the many things we have to be thankful for, especially Ian, and are feeling hopeful about a future transfer. And yes…I’m thoroughly enjoying partaking in wine and caffeinated coffee and tea while I can!

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Chemical pregnancy :( Such a sad thing, I know with mine I would never have known if I wasn't trying to get pregnant and testing early. I remember seeing the line and then the line slowly disappear since I have a peeing addiction and peed everyday. I had mine in December 2010, had a hsg that month, and was pregnant in January? Technically I guess I was pregnant again in that December? All so confusing. Im babbing I'm sorry. Hugs.

- Mrs. D said...

I am so sad reading this. I just can't accept the term "chemical pregnancy" - it was a pregnancy, and I am so sorry that it ended far too soon. I think you are very strong to have the positive outlook that you do - and I admire you for already putting together the plan of what's next. And yes, you are one lucky lady to have Mr. Ian in your life :)

Hugs as you continue to plan for the next transfer that is bound to be successful!

Oh, and I will toast you with my Pinot Noir that I will be sipping around 5 pm this evening :)

Gypsy Mama said...

You sound like such a positive, strong woman. I've recently found your blog and I enjoy reading it. I look forward to following the rest of your journey :)

MyRoseAmongThorns said...

Strength as you continue in your journey.

Ashley said...

I'm so sorry your FET didn't work out. I hope that you enjoy your wine and then next one will be a big success! You have an amazing and graceful attitude that I admire.

Augusta said...

i'm sighing deeply as I read this. Can't things be easy for you now after all that you have been through? I guess not. But I am happy that you RE feels optimistic and that you have a good plan in place. And I am so glad that Ian makes this loss less harsh (is that so? am I putting words in your mouth?).
dear friend, i will open a bottle of fine pinot from the Niagara region (in Ontario) and will drink a glass in your honour (which is short of what I'd really like to do: drink it with you).
Sending warm hugs to you and feeling optimistic about the next try.

Rachel said...

I'm glad you get such good care and good positive information to move forward and make decisions with. Proud of you. Love to you.

Anonymous said...

you are a strong lady. I am so glad that you guys have blasts to work with!! their reccomendation to keep doing single transfers is goo news because it shows they are optimistic that they will get you another take home baby!!

Em said...

I had a chemical pregnancy a couple of years ago. It was so hard for me to wrap my head around it...and it still kind of is. I kept asking, "So was I pregnant or not?" And it seemed like no one could give me a good answer. I'm glad to hear that you have remaining embryos and that you are at a place where you can move forward with another transfer in fairly quick order. I'm hoping and praying that this very next transfer is THE transfer that sticks.

Jessah @ Dreaming of Dimples said...

Cheers to wine! Hope your level drop down quickly so you can move onto your FET. Hugs to you.

myinfertilitywoes said...

I had been wondering about you and am so sorry to hear your news. I was so rooting for you. I feel like I'm feeling this loss with you.

Glad you guys are talking next steps already if that feels right. One of the things our RE recommended to us since we had had a few early on losses was doing PGD testing on our frozen embryos to make sure that we weren't transferring genetically abnormal embryos which usually result in either never making it to a positive result or are biochemical pregnancies. This may be something worth considering if you haven't and/or bringing it up with your RE if they haven't talked about it. In the grand scheme of all of this, it's relatively inexpensive and can save time and heart-ache.

Sorry for offering unsolicited advice. I'm sure you may have all of this info and/or maybe don't want it, but just thought I'd share.

It's nice you end this post on a positive note. I know I'm trying to stay focused on the things I'm grateful for also which helps a lot. Know I'm sending you lots of (((hugs))). xoxo

runescape gold said...

you might be a solid girl. I will be so pleased which you males have explosions to utilize!! their own reccomendation to keep undertaking single transfers can be goo reports since it exhibits they're hopeful that they can allow you to get one more get hold of child!
Runescape 2007 Gold
Gold On Runescape
Diablo 3 Gold

Post a Comment