Monday, January 2, 2012

New Beginnings and living green…

As we begin another year, I can’t help but look back at all the drastic changes that have occurred in our lives this past year. The difference a year makes continues to leave me in awe. This Christmas was incredible; sharing our family traditions with Ian and for the first time really seeing the Holiday season as a parent with a living child, it was beautiful. Then celebrating the new year for the first time with a baby and thinking back to where we were last year, very newly pregnant hoping for the best but feeling cautious and afraid of all that could go wrong. This New Year’s Eve was spent differently then we’ve ever celebrated before, in our PJ’s in the comfort of our home, and yes, sleeping before the stroke of midnight!

As someone who has lived through the tragedy and then breathtaking joy that life can bring, I am thankful to be beginning this new year on a celebratory note. I am holding so much hope for several of my friends both in real life and the blogosphere. Hope that 2012 brings inconceivable happiness to your lives and that you feel strengthened and renewed.

This blog, which started out simply to offer an outlet through infertility treatments, has led me through many unexpected journeys. As we begin the new year I’ve been thinking about how I’d like to expand my blog in other ways. Living a green and healthy lifestyle is something that’s exceedingly important to me and something I definitely want to instill in Ian, so I thought I’d begin including some of this in my blog as well. We’re already a family that recycles all we can and also cloth diapers, but I know there is likely much more we can do to be good stewards of this beautiful planet we call home and save at the same time. I’m planning to attempt making our own baby food in the future when we receive the go ahead from Ian’s pediatrician to begin introducing solids, so this will be one new escapade I’ll share as we embrace 2012 and all that lies ahead for our family.


16 comments:

Christine said...

It really is wonderful and easy to make your own baby food.
We did cloth wipes for a while with our twins, but after about 8 months I decided it was too much for me (as they eat more solids it gets interesting).
It's been a joy reading your experiences and I look forward to a new year. God bless you and your family!

Augusta said...

What a year it has been for you, Rebecca. I am just so delighted to read that you've had a wonderful Christmas and New Year celebration. Wishing you and your husband, and the handsome Ian a great year in 2012. I'm excited about the living green portion of your blog and will continue to be a loyal follower. Hugs to you, dear woman.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

You go girl! I'm glad that 2011 was so good to you and your family....and look forward to what 2012 will bring.

Jenny said...

Wonderful :)
Making your own baby food is fun! Plus you know it tastes so much better. wholesomebabyfoods.com is a great site, you can make your own biter biscuits etc!
I had a pretty decent holiday season as well.

Christina Golden said...

I have been following your blog for a while but have never commented. We made baby food and it's super SUPER easy. Just steam, puree, and freeze! Then pop them in the microwave when you need them. www.wholesomebabyfood.com is a great site. GL

Justine L said...

Happy New Year! I'll be looking forward to your blog's new direction ... I'm interested in green living, too! (And as an aside, I've been making N's baby food, and it's far easier than I'd originally thought! :)

RaisingCain said...

Wishing an even better 2012 for you, Becky! Much happiness! Love, Me

Esperanza said...

What a wonderful post! I'm so glad 2011 brought you so much joy and fulfillment.

You're going to love making your own baby food. It's fun (and cheap!). Let me know if you want some book recommendations. There are two I really love.

I'm excited to read more about living green. I try hard to do so but I know I could do a lot more. Maybe I'll get some good ideas from you!

I hope 2012 is as wonderful as 2011!

Ms. Pollywog said...

I lOVE the idea of talking GREEN around here! Would you do a cloth diaper post? What are your favorite diapers? What are your tips and tricks? Any mistakes that you made or things that you would have done differently when building your stash? Which diapers do you love/hate? What do you use for a wet bag/pail? What's your washing routine?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Adele said...

It is profound, the difference a year can make. I hope 2012 brings you and yours some wonderful things, including much health and happiness. And I'm going to look forward to following your blog in its new incarnation (which appeals to me very much even though - I must sadly admit - we failed in our cloth diapering attempts...may need to give it another go).

(PS: the first time I saw Ian's photo in your header, I got very teary:)

myinfertilitywoes said...

I love the tone of your new beginnings. I know you've been through a lot and it gives me hope to hear of you experiencing the joys. Thank you for letting me into your life! I've been a bit MIA lately but still thinking of you! Happy New Year!

ps - You had posted maybe 2 years ago about little 'green' books about vegetable gardens and such and I can't for the life of me find the author or book series. It's really cute for kids made from recycled materials, so the pages are a bit cardboard like... if you wouldn't mind, can you post it to me on my comments section or email me at myinfertilitywoes at hotmail dot com? Thank you!! I've been meaning to ask you for ages!!

Again, Happy 2012! :)

Trinity said...

Oooh, I am excited about your blog's evolution! I'm in the process of an overhaul on my garden blog, and I think its content will expand to include some greenin', too.

Happy 2012!!! X

Clare said...

Happy New Year Rebecca! And what a year it has been for us both. So happy for you and Ian. Love the idea of including more going green in your blog. Love cloth diapering.. i wouldn't do anything else, plus it's saved us a fortune! Have you heard of 'baby led weaning' sometimes called as 'baby led solids'? Meant to be better for baby and environment when introducing solids to baby. I'm just researching it now and I'm pretty convinced it's the way forward. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I've used several recipes from weelicious when making food for my nieces if you are looking for more baby/solid food inspiration.

MrsH said...

do it, I would love to read about your take on things. As you might have guessed, i am also a green mama, with the diapers and baby wipes and baby food all eco friendly, and the minimal consumption, second hand clothes for both baby and me, and so on. I have started solids already. I also tried to make her solids myself, but turns out she just wants to eat straight out of my plate. she also drinks from my glass. she puts both hands out to grab my spoon and puts it in her mouth. she is so funny. i prechew her stuff, which is gross but works. so much for my planned beaba babycook, which I guess I am selling sometime next month to someone who does not prefer to chew her baby's food herself

Jana said...

happy 2012. what a year you had last year. i hope this year will be filled w/ the excitement of seeing Ian continue to grow and explore.

I made El Guapo's baby food, and was so glad I did. It was easy, cheap, healthy, and I think it helped him be a good eater (but he has always loved food, so who knows about that)

Post a Comment