This momma is SO thrilled to report that after 3 ½ months of exclusively pumping, Ian has finally taken to breastfeeding over the past couple of days. It is so much nicer for both of us. He seems much more content after eating, and for me it’s much more fulfilling to be able to feed my baby directly instead of relying only on the pump. Granted I’ll still need to pump for the three days a week I work but even cutting pumping down in half would be a huge improvement. We’ll see how the next few days go, but we’re hoping this change will make things a bit smoother for us & Ian.
We’re slowly taking Ian out a bit more; last weekend we made a trip to our local pumpkin patch for Ian’s first trip out of the house other than doctors appointments, and it was lovely! We’ve also enjoyed visits from grandparents recently. Nick’s parents came a couple of weeks ago and were a huge help, and then my mom came and stayed for a week and a half and was a lifesaver. It was so helpful to have an extra set of hands around the house, especially as we adjusted to my return to working.
Ian is almost completely off oxygen! He spent his first full day off O2 yesterday and it went great; we were even able to take him to a neighborhood get together. I kept him in the Ergo the whole time which he appeared to love as he slept the entire time we were there. At this point he doesn’t need oxygen when he’s awake and needs just the smallest amount (1/32nd of a liter) when in a deep sleep. At this rate we’re thinking he’ll be off oxygen completely in the next week or two! We found yesterday with him off of it all day that life is much easier since we can now carry him around the house without lugging around a heavy O2 tank.
While at the annual neighborhood get together last night I was talking to another new mother and she mentioned how she was struck by how much had changed since this time last year when she was newly pregnant. I in turn was hit by the memory of where I was at this time last year. I was still deeply grieving the loss of Lily which had occurred just three months earlier and wondering how and when if ever I’d be a mother to a living child. And there I stood feeling such joy, profound thankfulness, and a tinge of sadness for those who are still asking themselves those same questions I was a year ago. What a difference a year has made in our lives.
Lastly, I’d ask that you think of my dear friends Tiffany & Dennis as they remember & honor their son Julius on the one year anniversary of his death this Wednesday, October 12th. Say a prayer, light a candle, donate towards Julius’s memorial fund if you’re able, and be grateful for the child you hold not just in your heart but in your arms.
Sunday, October 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)















16 comments:
OMG! How did you make the transition to breastfeeding??! I have been exclusively pumping for Kaia now for 3 months and it's getting old. Did he all of a sudden just decide to do it? Were you practicing all the time or did you just pop him on and away he went? I would seriously LOVE to know your secret in getting a preemie who is used to bottles to breastfeed. I would love to give up pumping (at least for most of the time unless my husband wants to give a bottle in the middle of the night so I can sleep once in awhile).
If you have time could you e-mail me:
fireangel117@hotmail.com or leave a message on my blog: www.aidanbabyofmind.blogpsot.com
Also, congratulations to Ian on almost kicking the O2 habit. There were a few weeks there we thought Kaia might come home on oxygen and just the thought of it was overwhelming.
Emily...I responded on your blog too but just in case others were wondering I thought I'd respond here too. Honestly it's been at least a month since I had attempted breastfeeding with Ian and Friday my husband had suggested I give it a try again. I had pretty much given up on it happening as every time previously we had attempted he wouldn't latch on. And all the sudden we tried that time and he did and then proceeded to several more times over the course of the weekend. He still gets frustrated sometimes with the different, softer feel of the nipple and also while waiting for let down to occur. Honestly, for him it's about catching him before he's too hungry and won't latch on (he just screams). I was floored when he breastfed that first time and then continued to do so the last couple of days. I wish I had more advice or tips to offer but all I can say is to keep making attempts every few days or so and hopefully like Ian she'll just take to it one day.
Ian is getting so big! I still can't believe that he is here. It is amazing how things can change in just one short year.
Congratulations on getting Ian to breastfeed! That is so, so wonderful for both of you!
And indeed ... what a difference a year makes. Though Lily will always be in our hearts, I'm so glad that your beautiful little boy is here!
Wow, so many wonderful news, the oxygen and the breastfeeding both, that is really really good! A big congratulations on both. Yes, we have both had a wonderful year didn't we? chuckle....
He is so cute! And you look so happy :-) Yay!
so very very sweet. He looks like a very keen and wise little boy. He has very knowing eyes. I am taken aback! You all look so happy and I hope things keep going so smooth!
I'm so happy to hear how smoothly you've been able to transition to breast feeding! I agree with you that it's one of the most special things that you can share with your child.
Praise God that this year you have a sweet little boy in your arms!
Lots of love xoxox
Your breastfeeding success is inspiring. My twins are 7 weeks old and I have been exclusively pumping as they have been unable to latch on. It has been so frustrating for me, as I really wanted to breastfeed. I had started to lose hope that it could still work- but reading your post has encouraged me. I will keep pumping and keep attempting to breastfeed. Your little man is adorable.
What a wonderful family photo!!!! So happy things are going well :)
Love the pictures! Congrats on your wins with breastfeeding, and I am so happy to hear little Ian is coming off oxygen soon! So exciting! Congrats on such a handsome little man :)
It's shocking what a difference a year makes. And it's not something that can be understood at the start of that year, either. I'm so glad to hear about the BF-ing and the fact that he's on such a tiny dose of oxygen...sounds like it's truly a matter of days (if not hours) before he doesn't need it at all.
Great photos. And what a cutie:)
Congratulations on the breastfeeding! I am so happy for you and Ian. There is something kind of beyond words amazing about the experience, as I am discovering myself. I just wish everyone could have it.
Wonderful that breast-feeding is working out for you and that you're able to get out of the house with you're darling little man... he's adorable xoxo
I don't know how I missed this post, but it's a goodie! You all seem to be adjusting so well to all the changes and it sounds like you have such great support from family. I'm thrilled for you about the breastfeeding and the oxygen, which I understand he is completely off now. Very sweet family photos!
so good to hear things are going so well! I can't imagine how hard the constant pumping & the oxygen tanks and all the worry has been for you. Congratulations on nursing your little baby in your arms now... yes, what a wonderful difference a year can make.
You look so lovely in that last photo!
Post a Comment